Clicking noise coming out of engine bay?

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Re: Clicking noise coming out of engine bay?

Postby srbsr5 on Tue, 22 May 2012 10:00 +0000

Mechanics at toyota told me its the cat converter metal contracting when cooling down. Apparently it's "normal" and a lot of different model toyotas do it as well.

Mick
srbsr5

Postby rysermon on Mon, 24 Feb 2014 7:46 +0000

sorry to revive an old thread fellas but mines just started doing it out of the blue about 2 months ago and its gone from one click after switching it of to it does it when i drive too its just one click noise like someone is hitting the oil pan with a spanner like explained earlier i have sort of just assumed its a exhaust cooling down but sorta getting on my nerves incase its something serious :\ sounds like its coming from the drivers side area
"Lifes Simple, You make choices and you dont look back"
08 (09facelift) Hilux SR D4D - Daily and adventure vehicle
99 Silvia S15 Spec r - Sunday driver
rysermon

Postby AntonN on Sat, 02 Sep 2017 2:47 +0000

I've got the exact same problem. Also hear a loud clunk sound or two after about a minute after switching off the engine. It started now after the 90000km service. Toyota mechanic tells me it might be a cam rocker, but I don't believe that because the engine is not running and this means the oil pressure is down. You can also hear a clunk sound when idling at a robot. It must be something that contracts when cooling down. Hopefully it is the exhaust or catalytic convertor, otherwise the engine is running smooth.
AntonN

Postby Steveyb on Sat, 02 Sep 2017 7:40 +0000

AntonN wrote:I've got the exact same problem. Also hear a loud clunk sound or two after about a minute after switching off the engine. It started now after the 90000km service. Toyota mechanic tells me it might be a cam rocker, but I don't believe that because the engine is not running and this means the oil pressure is down. You can also hear a clunk sound when idling at a robot. It must be something that contracts when cooling down. Hopefully it is the exhaust or catalytic convertor, otherwise the engine is running smooth.

There is another thread on this, mine started doing it out of the blue after a service around 70k... I took it for a drive and gave it a good belting and then jumped underneath to hear it, found it was the exhaust between dump pipe and cat. It made a small crack and when I bumped the cat area it made it's usual big crack, it also does it when pulled up at lights here and there. It's been doing it for quite a while now and nothing's developed.
NLC
Steveyb

Postby AntonN on Sun, 03 Sep 2017 6:41 +0000

Steveyb wrote:
AntonN wrote:I've got the exact same problem. Also hear a loud clunk sound or two after about a minute after switching off the engine. It started now after the 90000km service. Toyota mechanic tells me it might be a cam rocker, but I don't believe that because the engine is not running and this means the oil pressure is down. You can also hear a clunk sound when idling at a robot. It must be something that contracts when cooling down. Hopefully it is the exhaust or catalytic convertor, otherwise the engine is running smooth.

There is another thread on this, mine started doing it out of the blue after a service around 70k... I took it for a drive and gave it a good belting and then jumped underneath to hear it, found it was the exhaust between dump pipe and cat. It made a small crack and when I bumped the cat area it made it's usual big crack, it also does it when pulled up at lights here and there. It's been doing it for quite a while now and nothing's developed.

Great to hear. Thanks.
AntonN

Postby Sam Gribley on Tue, 13 Feb 2018 1:46 +0000

[quote="Quikvl"]Mine has a consistent tick/ tap noise.
Coming from turbo stepper motor. If u touch it (black solinoid thing on top of turbo) u can feel the tapping.
Is it bad or a sign the turbo is on its way out???[/quote

Been searching pretty extensively and can't find any better info or more recent topics so this is getting bumped, sorry.

I have the one big tick after turning off which I'm not at all concerned about.

I also have the pretty much continuous "ticking" or "clicking" noise as mentioned above and that one reaaaaally bothers me. I got the vehicle serviced just after purchase (second hand 2010 sr d4d 1kd, 200k on the clock) and the mechanic said the turbo is "leaking" and that's what the noise is. There doesn't seem to be any loss of power at all though which makes me wonder. Said it could die tomorrow or last another 100,00km, no way to tell. So one, it's bloody annoying to listen to and two; it's frustrating having the thought sitting at the back of my mind that it could die any day.

Anybody with any information at all would be really appreciated. If all else fails I think I'll end up pulling it off and giving it a thorough look over, if there are any topics with info on that, that'd be great too (I am searching to find some but no luck yet).

Cheers.

**Edit** Still no solution but finding a shitload of topics about engine noise now that I removed "turbo" from the search terms. So sorry for bumping.
Sam Gribley

Postby wwwebfrank2234 on Fri, 29 May 2020 5:48 +0000

Mines making the loud tick after turning off. Also sounds like a rock hitting a bash plate every couple minutes.
Anyone find out what this is? 2010 N70 D4D
wwwebfrank2234

Postby brian.bozo on Sat, 30 May 2020 9:24 +0000

Mine's been doing it forever. I found it was coming from the spring loaded exhaust connection between the dump pipe and exhaust pipe. Because it's not a rigidly bolted connection like the old days, there's always movement at the joint as it cools down.
Another clicking noise can be found behind the glove box. There's a couple of relays that switch power to the heater box elements that heat the water while the engine heats up and takes over. The relays stop clicking when the engine reaches operating temperature.
I've taken the relays out. Don't need them.
brian.bozo

Previous

Return to General Discussion