Hard Rear Lid

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Hard Rear Lid

Postby H20PRF on Sun, 30 Nov 2008 7:09 +0000

Hi All,

1st post and about to join your club from 06 STS Patrol too an 07 SR5 D4D ..... , can i just ask about the hard lids, what do most of you have as being in Construction i need the hard lid for gear and security....... and if anyone can recommend the suspension it would be appreciated as all the LUX's ive seen so far the front sits down , so id like mine level.

I will be collecting mind next week, so i hope i can get some things done before Xmas :)

Cheers

H20PRF
H20PRF

Re: Hard Rear Lid

Postby Glenn k on Sun, 30 Nov 2008 8:10 +0000

welcome to the club,
hard lids can be restrictive in terms of what you can fit in there and have the lid closed and locked, i just recently changed my hard cover to a canopy for this reason. it fits a lot more stuff in there securely now.

suspension wise i think the you can get away with changing the front springs and shocks to bilstein shocks and king springs.
it seems to be the choice on here for a better ride/ lift combination.
that will give you a lift in the front and make it sit even, it will also give a better ride
hope this helps you
Glenn

due to recent financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off until further notice !
Glenn k

Postby H20PRF on Sun, 30 Nov 2008 9:32 +0000

Thanks Glenn , Much appreciated mate ...... i thought of calling Ultimate suspension but i will shop around, im in sydney who did yours ?
H20PRF

Postby Glenn k on Sun, 30 Nov 2008 9:38 +0000

i have the old man emu suspension, it was installed by arb st peters
i havent had any trouble but some others have had trouble with sagging, in the front, thats why i didnt reccommend it.
king spring, bilstein shocks is the way i would go if i had my time over again
Glenn

due to recent financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off until further notice !
Glenn k

Postby wat700 on Sun, 30 Nov 2008 10:30 +0000

G'day H20PRF,

While I don't have either I'd agree with Glenn re the benefits of the canopy over the hard lid.

Re suspension - shop around until you are happy you are getting what you want, that's what I did.

I ended up going with The Ultimate Suspension and am very happy with it - but you've got to choose what you think is right for you. Definitely give Ken a call though - what he doesn't know about suspension probably isn't worth knowing, IMHO.

Cheers,

Watto
wat700

Postby H20PRF on Sun, 30 Nov 2008 1:19 +0000

Watto.

Any idea on a price on Canopies ? could be a good way to go longterm, even though i like the Sports bar look ?

Cheers

Daz
H20PRF

Postby Glenn k on Sun, 30 Nov 2008 3:49 +0000

fitted you are looking about $2500- $3000 depending on brand and specs

Glenn k

Postby H20PRF on Sun, 30 Nov 2008 3:59 +0000

GLenn,

IS there oner brand is known as the better or are they much of a muchness ? sorry for the Q's but new too this now.

Regards

Daz :roll:
H20PRF

Postby Glenn k on Tue, 16 Apr 2024 6:18 +0000

i got the arb smooth shell canopy,
but there are others on the market
caddy canopies is another brand
alpha canopies is another i think.
flexiglass is another
tjm also make canopies
just pick one you like the look of, they all do the same thing at the end of the day, they just look abit different.
some have better locks and hinge systems than others, some have bigger windows than others, some are made from fibreglass some from steel.
depends what your after
Glenn
Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue, 16 Apr 2024 6:18 +0000.

Glenn k

Return to General Discussion