Full Synthetic Oil in Gearbox/Transaxle/Diff

Full Synthetic Oil in Gearbox/Transaxle/Diff

Postby TheDiko on Mon, 21 Apr 2014 6:45 +0000

I've been wanting to change the oil in my 1994 LN106 since I bought it a month ago and want to use some quality oil. Nulon has some "performance" 75W 90 full synthetic gearbox oil that comes up as recommended for the Hilux. My question is, is it ok to use in my gearbox, transaxle and front diff as I've heard that synthetic can ruin seals and the like in older cars.
TheDiko

Re: Full Synthetic Oil in Gearbox/Transaxle/Diff

Postby mattwhite on Mon, 21 Apr 2014 7:10 +0000

I've not heard that before. I say do it.
mattwhite

Postby ricky66 on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 9:06 +0000

it'd be ok for the diffs but i'd caution against using it in the gearbox.

Too slippery for the synchros and will probably make the notchy first to second change even worse..

How did you go?
ricky66

Postby AdamHC on Sun, 15 Nov 2015 1:22 +0000

I'm currently putting Nulon 75W-90 into my gearbox and transfer (just came inside while I let the last bits of the old stuff drip out). I'll let you know how it runs, but from what I've read it should be alright.

I have heard of fully synthetic oils being an issue with seals, but I'm not too concerned seeing as it is the first thing Nulon recommend for the Hilux. Also it says on the bottle that it has such and such added to look after the seals or something along those lines. But if you're worried about the seals or can see a leak coming I wouldn't risk it. On a side note just incase you are wondering, I would not put synthetic in the engine, I don't think it is recommended and as well as that the more important issue with the engine would be getting rid of the soot in the oil. Synthetic oil may get you more ks between services but you would still want to get rid of the soot at 10k or less so not really worth the extra coin.

I'll let you know how it goes in my gearbox/transfer of my 07 hilux over the next couple days.
AdamHC

Return to Servicing