change radiator coolent

change radiator coolent

Postby johno fish on Fri, 09 Mar 2012 9:39 +0000

hi all just dropped the water out of my 2006 v6 hilux radiator and it seems i can only refill it with just over 3 lts of coolent ,i did open the heater or should i say turned on heater to heat , to drain that out as well ,and flushed the cooling system too .
but i ll be buggerd to fit anymore then 3 lts of coolent , how much does the cooling system hold ?
have or what have i done wrong ?
thanks
johno fish

Re: change radiator coolent

Postby fridgie on Fri, 09 Mar 2012 12:40 +0000

johno fish wrote:what have i done wrong ?
thanks

Bought a lux :P :lol: :lol: oh i crack me up :lol:

Sorry, not much help, I'll go back to my corner now ;) :oops:
i know it's not a hilux but really.....WHO CARES!! We're all here for the same reason :D
fridgie

Postby dermy on Fri, 09 Mar 2012 12:50 +0000

yeh same happened to me.. it gets an air pocket I had the car running till it started to get warm then it slowly started taking bit by bit.. I believe there's a relief valve some where
dermy

Postby fgk228 on Fri, 09 Mar 2012 2:14 +0000

the thermostat is closed and therefore wont allow the water from the block to come out.
fgk228

Postby simo4240 on Fri, 09 Mar 2012 3:23 +0000

Need to get up to normal driving temp should start to go through leave cap off while you do it have heater on low .not sure if there is a bleed valve on that model some times squeezing top hose will help release some air.hope you sought out
simo4240

change radiator coolent

Postby toyboata on Fri, 09 Mar 2012 6:10 +0000

Best way to service cooling system.
1. With vehicle running turn on heater then stop engine.
2. Remove drain plug on radiator or remove bottom hose.
3. Undo one heater hose from heater tap.
4. After all coolant has stopped draining, insert garden hose into heater hose and turn on medium pressure. Flush until clear water is coming from radiator and heater tap, then insert hose to heater tap and flush until clear water coming from heater hose and radiator.
5. Flush through radiator also until clear water exits heater tap and hose, this ensures all old coolant is removed from system.
6. Refit drain plug/bottom hose.
7. A good idea for bleeding system is to make a bleed funnel. Cut bottom out of 600ml coke bottle and get about 8" length of hose(vinyl hose from Bunnings is easiest to get or some radiator hose) that will fit snugly inside the radiator neck. Attach and tape it to the coke bottle neck and insert into radiator filler.
8. Fill with desired amount of coolant and watch the heater hose, the moment you see nice fresh coolant coming out of heater hose or tap, block that end off. Then when it exits the remaining outlet then re-attach the hose to tap. This has just started to bleed the system and ensures you can get plenty of coolant in.
9. Fill up rest of system with water until the funnel is half full and start the engine. Keep topping up as the level drops and you will also notice air bubbles escaping. Once the engine is at operating temperature, check that both top and bottom hoses are nice and warm, and if there's no more air bubbles then remove funnel and replace radiator cap.
This is the best way to ensure you get plenty of coolant into the system and dont end up with any airlocks which can cause overheating and head damage.
Hope this helps some of you.
toyboata

Postby johno fish on Fri, 09 Mar 2012 8:28 +0000

ok was thinking it was to do with thermostat being closed , so i warmed up the car not much change happened , took it for a short drive keeping an eye on the temp gauge all good ,pulled over checked water level still good ,so drove some more recheck water level it had dropped so i topped it up again, i let it sit for a while and the water level was still good . temp gauge got to about half way up .
johno fish

Postby BazHi on Thu, 06 Jul 2017 7:19 +0000

HiLux DC 4X4 TD M SR - KUN26R - 2008
Nearly two weeks ago I drained, flushed (by disconnecting one of the heater hoses and the bottom radiator hose) the blue coolant.
I also removed the little hard to get bleeding nut from the engine block in front of the oil filter but curiously nothing came out.
I then poured in the Toyota Pink coolant.
I filled the reservoir tank about 6 cm. higher than the "F" mark (about 6 cm. lower than the "B" mark near the the top).
I Only used about 7.6 litres < 9.8 litres which I understand is the system capacity.
For bleeding purposes, I then removed the radiator 3/8 square drive plug and the reservoir tank cap then ran the
motor with the heater on max.for 20 minutes.
After numerous (incl. 3 drives of more than 1/2 an hour at speed), I notice that when, after each of the 3 drives,
the cold (at least 4 hours after the 3 drives) reservoir level is at the very bottom of the reservoir tank.
When I again remove the radiator 3/8 square drive plug and the reservoir tank cap the tank
level rises again to my original 6 cm. higher than the "F" mark (a total of about 12 cm. or about 1.2 litres)
Comments / advice on
* ...7.6 litres used < 9.8 litres.
* ...removed the little hard to get at bleeding nut nut from the engine block but curiously nothing came out.
* After 3 drives ...tank level rises again to the 6mm higher than the "F" mark (.... about 1.2 litres)
would be appreciated.
I don't think it was like this before
Something doesn't seem right.
BazHi

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 06 Jul 2017 9:17 +0000

Baz, the 7.6l figure is probably because there may have been some residual coolant in the hoses/heater somewhere or an air-lock. If you are concerned, try filling the reservoir to its proper level, park the car nose up (steeper the better) and remove the radiator cap, run the car with the heater full-on for a while to 'burp' any air out and see if it fixes it.

Even toybota's system leaves some residual water in the system so this may be why your 7.6 vs oem capacity doesn't tally. The OEM capacity is filled from dry!
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Return to Servicing