Diesel injectors ECU flash fixed engine noisy when cold

Diesel injectors ECU flash fixed engine noisy when cold

Postby dieselux on Wed, 21 May 2014 6:22 +0000

Hi all,

Just sharing some good news -

I purchased a secondhand hilux recently with the D4D engine, thought all was good until I started it up on cold mornings. The thing sounded like it was about to explode until up to temperature. So off I went researching and eventually resigned myself to the fact that it needed $3.5k spent on it for new injectors. :cry:

Called a couple of places and finally also called Toyota as the thing needed its 200k service anyway, mentioned the issue and the service manager said he would check if the VIN had any history against it. He found that it had never been back to Toyota and hence missed out on an ECU update.

So I spent $80 for them to check the injectors % and do the flash update. Turns out the injectors were OK and they said just drive it for 1000kms for the flash to work.

1000kms later the thing runs and sounds perfect now. STOKED. So hopefully this enough of a fix for others too, (I had never read this on the net).

Now I just need to deal with the billycart suspension on this thing :O

Cheers, Tim
dieselux

Re: Diesel injectors ECU flash fixed engine noisy when cold

Postby matan on Tue, 27 May 2014 8:53 +0000

Thanks for that. Bought a 2005 sr5 hilux today. I want to know what tests should be dom
Me before I go bush. It is a x cab 4x4 turbi d4d diesel.
What should I be testing where and how. I am n Western Australia.
matan

Postby NeverTap on Sat, 07 Jun 2014 5:59 +0000

Hi Tim
That's really good news you got good result.
Are from Brisbane if u r which dealer did u have the work done
What was it cost for the 200klms service as my is near
Does anyone know why the fuel light stay on I have change the filter already any help would be greatly appreciate thanks guys
NeverTap

Postby AdamHC on Sun, 15 Jun 2014 7:59 +0000

matan wrote:Thanks for that. Bought a 2005 sr5 hilux today. I want to know what tests should be dom
Me before I go bush. It is a x cab 4x4 turbi d4d diesel.
What should I be testing where and how. I am n Western Australia.

Probably just get a service done and tell them your plans to go bush so they inspect it. Also maybe diagnostics (or whatever the techstream thing is) test so they can spot anything that may be a problem.

And yeah I think I read somewhere that the ECU update lowers the fuel injected when cold so the rattle is less noisy.
AdamHC

Postby bones2898 on Mon, 16 Jun 2014 12:32 +0000

NeverTap wrote: Does anyone know why the fuel light stay on I have change the filter already any help would be greatly appreciate thanks guys

Simply remove the wires going to the fuel filter at the plug underneath? and then start the car, then walk around and plug the wires back together again and by the time you get back to the drivers seat the light should be off.
bones2898

Return to Fuel Systems