smokey 2l motor

smokey 2l motor

Postby Red Rocket on Thu, 15 Aug 2013 4:56 +0000

all,
i have just bought a 2.4 l diesel hilux ute (non turbo) and have replaced the 2l motor and fuel pump in it and it now blows heaps of black smoke under heavy acceleration, whether the tray is loaded or not.
i can only get 100km top speed in fifth gear.
i know it's not the quickest but i'm guessing something may be wrong

Any ideas or suggestions? do i have to wind back the fuel pump?? if so which way?? :?
Any suggestions or ideas are welcomed
Cheers
Red Rocket
Red Rocket

Re: smokey 2l motor

Postby BDG on Tue, 18 Feb 2014 3:55 +0000

Hey mate;

Black smoke happens because its overfueling *for the amount of air that it puts in. So, make sure that you have no restrictions in the air inlet (wouldn't be the first that left a rag in the inlet! trust me) and if that is clear, start looking at the fuel system. At first guess, I'd say timing, but that usually results in white / grey smoke at some point, if not always.

If you're not sure how to check the timing, have a look in the Denco website (not normal for me to recommend a competitor!) but they have a great video on how to time the pumps. I'd say this or injectors is it - If its not the air side of the equation.

Also, please be aware that these things are not rocketships, even with an aftermarket turbo, they can be painful.

Matt
BDG

Postby andy666 on Tue, 18 Feb 2014 8:05 +0000

First thing I would do is replace the air cleaner.
666 High Idle Kits to suit 05+ hilux Available Here
My Build Thread.
andy666

Postby BIGFOOTJR on Tue, 18 Feb 2014 9:02 +0000

Could be a number of things, you'll have to trouble shoot. Sounds like an over fueling issue. Start with the intake first and work your way to the fuel then ignition/timing.

If you have just bought a used vehicle I'd be doing a major service so you know the true condition of the vehicle instead of relying on the s
previous owners words...
BIGFOOTJR

Return to Fuel Systems