Long Range tank question

Long Range tank question

Postby SerbLux on Wed, 08 Jun 2011 5:22 +0000

I have a long range tank and am just wondering who has installed the extended pick up on their tank?

My tank is the 4wd system one and the last 25L is unusable so I was hoping to install a longranger tank extension to over come the problem. The other question I have is how much have people been paying for theirs and can some on give me a measurement of the height of the longranger tank where the pick up sits on to the bottom of the tank so I can see if it's the same as mine and will actually fit?

thanks
Ivan
'Take one for the Team' and do your Part
SerbLux

Re: Long Range tank question

Postby Alby on Wed, 08 Jun 2011 7:25 +0000

Not an answer to your question but are you saying that you are carrying 25 litres of fuel around that you can never use because the pickup is too short??
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby SerbLux on Wed, 08 Jun 2011 8:46 +0000

Yeah spot on Alby. Found out the other day when I was towing the boat around and ran out because I know when my fuel light comes on I have used exactly 100L.

Ivan
SerbLux

Postby Steve9R on Wed, 08 Jun 2011 10:41 +0000

so you ran out altogether ? you need to then drain whatevers in there and work out how much there is..

Once you've done that Id go back to where you got it from and have a go at them..

Ive got the OL extra 75ltr tank that drains into the OEM plastic one, so i dont have this problem.. I'd be surprised if your issue isnt more common though than you think.. I mean the pickup would have to be indented down into the top of the tank in order for it to reach the bottom (cause as we know the longer range tanks are lower than the oem ones). so if it isnt lowered enough that would definately cause the problem.. not an easy fix though I wouldnt think..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby SerbLux on Wed, 08 Jun 2011 1:29 +0000

Steve

Yeah I was 5 metres from the servo luckly enough so I managed to pump the air out start it and crawl into the servo and sure enough when I refilled it and looked at what i put in I had 25L left in the tank. :o

Called ARB and they tell me you get a pick extension kit when you buy the longranger tanks and they don't sell it seperatley. Apparently all it is a simple mod which take only 5 mins to do when transfering you pick up from standard to long range tank

Called 4WD systems and they said that should not be the case as it should be the same height as standard tank and it should sit on the bottom. I said to well obviously not as I am having this issue and he said he would speak to his supplier and get back to me at the end of the day, so we see what they come up with.

Tank is almost at the empty poin tso I considering dropping it down next week when I get back from sydney and seeing what's involved in extending it. I don't think it would be much more than a longer piece of picpe/hose on the pick up, from memory their is a bit of wire hanging down which wont cause issues. So might be able to get away with cutting the original pick up pipe and putting in a rubber fuel hose in between to extend it if its possible. That's why I hoping someone can provide me with more feedback with what they done when installing it and how the pick up is modifyed.

I would have considerd the aux tank but I am carrying 140L of water in stainless tank and about to put a draw on the other half of my tray from underneith. So the under side of my drop side tray is all full :D

Ivan
SerbLux

Postby dute on Wed, 08 Jun 2011 2:39 +0000

Ivan, just a couple of questions after reading your post above

1: Does your new tank use the OME fuel tank pickup/pump
2: Did you fit the tank yourself (and if so ),
3: Did you extend the float arm on the standard fuel pick up, (to get the fuel gauge reading)
4: Does the fuel pickup sit low in the new tank,

Why I ask is when I fitted my tank, I made up an extention for the float in the tank ( my fuel gauge reads is spot on ) also with the standard pickup/pump taken out of my old tank and placed into the new tank while I had the pump (Pickup) I checked how far it was from the bottom of the new tank, it was 3mm.

So inturn I use about 138L before my light comes on and then I still have 9L left before (Oh shit I need fuel)

PS: I'm very happy with my set up.

Pete (dute) ;)
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby Alby on Wed, 08 Jun 2011 4:33 +0000

Which brand tank did you fit Pete?
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby pisso01 on Wed, 08 Jun 2011 5:05 +0000

Ive got a long ranger in my ute and my pick up, fuel pump sits on the bottom.. there is no pick up hose. The pump needs to sit on the bottom of the tank as it has holes around the bottom where it picks up the fuel. The whole thing is pushed down by a spring loaded gizmo when you install the pump.

So my guess is either the pump isnt on the bottom as it should be or your guage wasnt adjusted as mentioned above..

Cheers,

Chris..
My touring Lux - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7795 - Nearly finished
pisso01

Postby VMN on Wed, 08 Jun 2011 6:45 +0000

I've got the Outback Accessories tank fitted. 153 litres. It is really hard to put more than 130 litres in it but then I have not run out of fuel......

I think you will find the specs often overstate the tank capacity based on a theoretical capacity v's measured capacity.

The pump/inlet/gauge assembly is seated lower so the pickup is the same height from the bottom as the factory one.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby SerbLux on Thu, 09 Jun 2011 5:15 +0000

Pete

I did not extend my pick up at the time as i did not know it would be an issues. How did you extend yours and what was involved, do you have any photos please?

thanks
Ivan
SerbLux

Postby skookumchuck on Sat, 25 Feb 2012 10:02 +0000

skookumchuck

Postby finucs on Sun, 26 Feb 2012 8:23 +0000

I've got outback accessories 153 litre tank. fuel light comes on, I have still driven 160klm, then filled up with 143 litres. Havent run it dry as a test yet
finucs

Postby birdy00 on Thu, 19 Jul 2012 9:40 +0000

Am I right in assuming everyone has installed new bigger tanks in the space where the original tank was or are there aux tanks available? I'd love to keep my original tank in place and install an aux tank if they were made. Has anyone ever seen a aux tank for the pre-2005 hilux?
birdy00

Postby Bushbound on Thu, 19 Jul 2012 2:37 +0000

I fitted my Outback Acessories 153 litre tank and my fuel pick up sits hard on the bottom of the tank, the whole assembly is sprung loaded to keep it on the bottom -- well mine is anyway.
The pick up is in / part of a catch can fitted with a one way check valve in the bottom and the fuel return line empties into it as well. This is a very clever design as it will allow almost all the fuel in the tank to be used while the vehicle is moving and the fuel is sloshing around in the bottom of the tank, but I think you will have to put at least 20 litres of fuel into the tank once you run it dry, need about 2 inches of fuel in the bottom of the tank to submerge the pick up.
I haven't run mine empty yet but put 25 litres in when I fitted it and the low fuel light was on while I drive to the servo and put another 125 litres in it, so its actual capacity is about 150 litres.
Geoff
Danger is natures way of eliminating stupid people.
Bushbound

Postby TRD620 on Sun, 16 Sep 2012 9:44 +0000

Hi all,

I recently had a longranger tank installed at my local ARB shop and have a few issues which I am unsure are valid issues, so I thought I would ask the question on here first

1. Reading the forums I was under the assumption that the tank would read full for longer and then the fuel gauge needle would start to drop? Now when my original tank was full I would get about 150 - 180kms before the needle would start to move. Since ARB installed the long ranger I get about 220kms and the needle start to lower but does so at slower pace (if that makes sense?)

2. My fuel light came on and I drove another another 100kms after that and decided to fill the tank up. went to the servo and only filled up 121L, is this normal?

3. when my car is parked in the sun or going into a the carport the tank seems to make a expanding/contracting ping sound. Has anyone experienced that?

Other issues I have is there is a cable that it hanging to the side of the tank, which I am sure could have been re-attached to the chassis and when I took my car there I asked them to fill her up with 98RON due to the car being the TRD model, checked the fuel receipt when I got home and it said 91RON fuel!

Sorry for the long reply I'm just really disappointed with my first 4x4 shop experience, any advice would be greatly appreciated

Ivan
TRD620

Postby RonBacardi8 on Sun, 16 Sep 2012 11:30 +0000

skookumchuck wrote:what about these ? good solution ?

http://liquidcontainment.com.au/cartpag ... -Jerry-Can

Those are pretty awesome but a bit pricey, great idea however...
RonBacardi8

Postby VMN on Sun, 16 Sep 2012 4:21 +0000

TRD620, the cable you are looking at would have been attached to the plastic guard under the OEM tank which is removed when fitting the replacement tank. This is just a safety strap in case the guard gets torn off. I think 220 km is probably OK. I never really worry too much about the capacity, when touring, I have not often needed more than 90 litres.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby Aquaholics on Sun, 16 Sep 2012 6:33 +0000

I would try calling Out of Town 4x4 as they make the tanks and supply them to ARB. They will soon tell you if you should be able to use that last 25l or not.

http://www.oot4wd.com.au/Company.html
Aquaholics

Postby 07luxyTD on Sun, 16 Sep 2012 7:11 +0000

TRD620 wrote:Hi all,

I recently had a longranger tank installed at my local ARB shop and have a few issues which I am unsure are valid issues, so I thought I would ask the question on here first

1. Reading the forums I was under the assumption that the tank would read full for longer and then the fuel gauge needle would start to drop? Now when my original tank was full I would get about 150 - 180kms before the needle would start to move. Since ARB installed the long ranger I get about 220kms and the needle start to lower but does so at slower pace (if that makes sense?)

2. My fuel light came on and I drove another another 100kms after that and decided to fill the tank up. went to the servo and only filled up 121L, is this normal?

3. when my car is parked in the sun or going into a the carport the tank seems to make a expanding/contracting ping sound. Has anyone experienced that?

Other issues I have is there is a cable that it hanging to the side of the tank, which I am sure could have been re-attached to the chassis and when I took my car there I asked them to fill her up with 98RON due to the car being the TRD model, checked the fuel receipt when I got home and it said 91RON fuel!

Sorry for the long reply I'm just really disappointed with my first 4x4 shop experience, any advice would be greatly appreciated

Ivan

the needle would lower slower as the area of the tank is larger meaning you need to use more fuel for the level to go down. eg if you had a tall skinny glass and a short flat glass each holding 1 litre of fuel, if you take 100mm out of each glass the tall thinner glass will show the largest drop if you understand what i mean :? with this the fuel sensor only recongnises this slight drop, but it is still reading correct

The fuel light will come on cause the same princiapal, there may be eg 30lt left in the tank the sensor still thinks its in the standard tank and in the standard tank this level would be very close to empty, becasue the shape and volume have changed the sensor dosnt realise this

I hope you understand :? :? :lol:
"Lucky you weren't cut off by my stihl"

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13794
My Landcruiser Build http://www.newlandcruiser.net/phpbb/vie ... 90&start=0
07luxyTD

Postby Jgarcia91 on Mon, 17 Sep 2012 5:32 +0000

birdy00 wrote:Am I right in assuming everyone has installed new bigger tanks in the space where the original tank was or are there aux tanks available? I'd love to keep my original tank in place and install an aux tank if they were made. Has anyone ever seen a aux tank for the pre-2005 hilux?

Opposite lock do an aux. tank that sits above the spare tire. Not cheap though I was quoted $1100 fitted vs $1350 for the replacement tank
Navara Recovery Vehicle
Jgarcia91

Next

Return to Fuel Systems