Contaminated Diesel

Re: Contaminated Diesel

Postby Roofer190 on Sun, 30 Aug 2020 12:04 +0000

:( Grrrrrrr.
Roofer190

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 30 Aug 2020 12:40 +0000

For what it's worth I would take that inlet cap you can wiggle and check it's assembly is correct. At least you can do that before the next step.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 23 Sep 2022 10:13 +0000

Hey fellow hilux owners... I just bought some diesel from a BP outlet (fortunately in a Jerry can) and it looks like diesel but certainly doesn't smell like diesel. I spilled a bit on the Jerry can and was surprised it didn't smell as usual and it didn't stick like $hit to a blanket. Normally I have to sleep in the car :? when I get diesel on my hands.
Has anyone noticed a different smell from bp diesel?
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby dave g on Fri, 23 Sep 2022 12:11 +0000

Gipsy
Give your can a good shack and put same in a clear bottle and see if it separate.
I use shell at the moment. I drive past every day.
dave g

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 23 Sep 2022 2:15 +0000

Thanks Dave, letting it settle in the Jerry can and then decant the top layer until I can see any residue in the bottom.
I just wondered if BP has made any changes to the smell. It certainly is clear and looks like diesel but smells strange :o
I'm not going to put in the hilux until I'm sure it's ok. I just normally use caltex/ampol until I got this lot. Because I don't use BP normally I maybe find the smell odd. It may be because the fuel could be a blend of bio-diesel. They're not required to tell us if it's bio :evil:
Gipsy

Postby Rob_Wood on Fri, 23 Sep 2022 3:02 +0000

Gipsy wrote:They're not required to tell us if it's bio :evil:

No, but they're also not allowed to lie when asked a direct question, that would be tantamount to fraud.
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 23 Sep 2022 3:24 +0000

You try asking Rob, most service station operations don't know what they're selling, it's just diesel to them. The big fuel tanker delivers it and they just take your money. That kind of information is way above the pay rate of the console operator. :shock: and the boss isn't normally around to ask... Mostly because they're overseas owned! :evil:
Gipsy

Postby dave g on Fri, 23 Sep 2022 4:18 +0000

Gipsy
To me it is not worth the risk
Motor are cheap to repair
You have doubts all ready speaks for itself.
dave g

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 24 Sep 2022 8:21 +0000

Gipsy wrote:You try asking Rob, most service station operations don't know what they're selling, it's just diesel to them. The big fuel tanker delivers it and they just take your money. That kind of information is way above the pay rate of the console operator. :shock: and the boss isn't normally around to ask... Mostly because they're overseas owned! :evil:

Yeah, copy that. But if you put it in writing and ask for the letter to be passed up the line then you've at least attempted to find out.
I wonder if there isn't some kind of oversight body you could go to? ACCC or some kind of Ombudsman? Dunno, just thinking out loud here.
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Sat, 24 Sep 2022 9:16 +0000

Rob, I was just wondering if BP diesel smells different. For me it's the first and last time I'll use that servo and probably the last for BP. I prefer the unbranded fuels and caltex etc but never was impressed by BP. Most of our unbranded diesel comes from Malaysia so it's mostly pure diesel but BP is an unknown. Besides, that particular BP servo is a shonky one and has just been fiddling with its underground tanks so who knows what I bought. Rather than putting it in the hilux I'll find somewhere to dispose of contaminated fuel, ie the local tip which takes old oil for recycling. It all goes through the cracker and probably comes out as BP or re-refined oil.
Gipsy

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 24 Sep 2022 11:00 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Rob, I was just wondering if BP diesel smells different. For me it's the first and last time I'll use that servo and probably the last for BP. I prefer the unbranded fuels and caltex etc but never was impressed by BP. Most of our unbranded diesel comes from Malaysia so it's mostly pure diesel but BP is an unknown. Besides, that particular BP servo is a shonky one and has just been fiddling with its underground tanks so who knows what I bought. Rather than putting it in the hilux I'll find somewhere to dispose of contaminated fuel, ie the local tip which takes old oil for recycling. It all goes through the cracker and probably comes out as BP or re-refined oil.

Historically diesel did have a distinctive smell, but I haven't smelled that for some time. I'm not sure it's just BP. As for disposing of it, you can donate it to the local Bush Fire Brigade as they can use it to mix up some drip torch fuel.
I used BP for a long time because back in the day they were renowned for being the cleanest fuel. I think that ship has sailed though. Nowadays I do one lap through town and buy whoever is the cheapest. It generally gets me using only 2 or 3 servo's and I have also decided there's one in town that I won't even consider (Gave me dirty / wet fuel about 10 or 15 years ago. Never go back.
Just out of interest more than anything, did you try what someone else said about putting some in a glass jar and shaking it up to see how it settles? Just interested to know the results that all. Not critical.
The other thing is to ask a local mechanic if they might have a cetane / octane checker? If they're old enough to actually have one then they will also know how to use it and (more importantly) how to read it.
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Sat, 24 Sep 2022 2:24 +0000

Hi Rob, yes I did put some in a jar and it was clear and clean but the smell is what threw me. I may consider leaving it to settle for an extended period and decant the clear stuff until I can see what has settled out. Normally I can smell the distinctive diesel smell but that's probably because I try to use the pure imported stuff. My guess is the BP has bio blend which might be why the different smell. Once upon a time the pump hoses had a final filter but that's a thing of the past for us oldies :o
Gipsy

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 24 Sep 2022 9:01 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Hi Rob, yes I did put some in a jar and it was clear and clean but the smell is what threw me. I may consider leaving it to settle for an extended period and decant the clear stuff until I can see what has settled out.

Could take a couple of weeks for it to settle out properly, let us know how it goes.

Gipsy wrote:Normally I can smell the distinctive diesel smell but that's probably because I try to use the pure imported stuff.

Yeah, I haven't smelled that for some time from ANY of the servos

Gipsy wrote:My guess is the BP has bio blend which might be why the different smell.

Yeah, years ago I got stuck with some and it turned to butter in my lines, took 3 or 4 tanks and a lot of battery (turning over) to flush it out.

Gipsy wrote:Once upon a time the pump hoses had a final filter but that's a thing of the past for us oldies :o

Not hard to buy one and fit it in line, I've got a "Glass Bowl" one in the shed waiting for me to do the job. I just have to decide whether it's going in the boat or the ute. :) :) :)
Rob_Wood

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems