Parabolic springs

Parabolic springs

Postby HTPREM350 on Tue, 19 Jan 2016 7:53 +0000

Hi All,
I thought I might give some feedback on rear Parabolic springs fitted to my 2006 KUN26R dual cab hilux.
I had searched everywhere and found very little positive and proven results in trying to soften the ride in the rear.

Being a mechanic I am and was very aware that a leaf spring rear will never ride like a coil spring suspension, but in saying that I have never had a vehicle ride as bad with leaves then this car, it is terrible and after only having it for 2 months I was at the point of selling it.

So I bit the bullet and fitted some Parabolics from Westralia springs, which are lifted 2 inches.
The ride is around 10% better, I have noticed that the bounce is not as sharp as it was with the multileaf springs.
It does seem to roll over the bumps a little better, I then reduced the tyre pressures to 35psi, which improved slightly, previously at 40psi.

Next is to put 120kgs in the tray, which I have been told will improve it again.

Would I do it again, for the slight improvement I would have to say no, save your money and just lower tyre pressures and put some load in the back.
I hope this helps shed some light on Parabolics.

Cheers guys
Craig
HTPREM350

Re: Parabolic springs

Postby hylux on Tue, 19 Jan 2016 9:27 +0000

Land Rovers used to use them ( only manufacturer I know of ) and were raved about but I never could understand if they were, why not used more widely. Probably what you say is why.
Do they give you anymore flex over standard ?
I love hybrid cars - means more fuel for me
hylux

Postby TOYZX on Tue, 19 Jan 2016 1:35 +0000

Half the problem with leaves is the shocks we attach to them to try and control them. Sadly not many of the suspension manufacturers r able to accomplish this. End of the day if ya want a 4x4 to ride like a car, go buy a car.
TOYZX

Postby Richolux150 on Tue, 19 Jan 2016 5:28 +0000

Seems like a really expensive pointless exercise then............
Maybe we could start a Suspension Thread..............
Sorry...just jokes.......
Cheers Richo
If cat turds were Gold nuggets, I'd be the richest bloke on the block... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richolux150

Postby HTPREM350 on Wed, 02 Mar 2016 3:28 +0000

TOYZX wrote:Half the problem with leaves is the shocks we attach to them to try and control them. Sadly not many of the suspension manufacturers r able to accomplish this. End of the day if ya want a 4x4 to ride like a car, go buy a car.

Don't want it to handle or drive like a car that, But i would like a 4wd that doest send me to the chiro every week. This Hilux is the worst and roughest 4wd i have ever owned and i have owned 5 all different makes and models and nothing was as rough and violent as this heap of crap.
HTPREM350

Postby HTPREM350 on Wed, 02 Mar 2016 3:30 +0000

hylux wrote:Land Rovers used to use them ( only manufacturer I know of ) and were raved about but I never could understand if they were, why not used more widely. Probably what you say is why.
Do they give you anymore flex over standard ?

Sorry about the late reply mate, yeah now that the springs have settled a bit more the flex is greater then standard and the ride has improved again slightly, still rough as guts though.
HTPREM350

Postby HTPREM350 on Tue, 26 Apr 2016 5:12 +0000

"UPDATE"
Just fitted Bilstien shocks all round and the difference is amazing, definately recommend to spend the extra cash and put these shocks on.
I am over the moon, fixed the harsh ride and now the Parabolics are really showing their true colours for a flexible and smoother ride. :D
HTPREM350

Postby kAm on Thu, 02 Jun 2016 6:09 +0000

how many leafs?
i bought some from them too for my 2003 hilux. with the load leaf, it was waaay too stiff.
its basically a progressive spring if you will, it rides on the first 2 springs and once extra weight or suspension travel is applied, it stiffens up.
I found that horrible for ruts as the rear launches up when the front end goes in a rut. took the load leaf out and its very flexy and only gives 1" lift.
kAm

Return to Suspension