IFS hilux lift, shocks - SAX?

IFS hilux lift, shocks - SAX?

Postby shooter114 on Sun, 13 Sep 2015 3:01 +0000

After spending the last couple of weeks researching and speaking to suspension mobs I'm curious to get some feedback on what I'm planning to do to my 01 IFS lux. At the moment is has oem shocks and springs, wallows pretty badly, has a fair bit of body roll and doesn't give me the best ground clearance. The front of the car has a factory steel bar and possibly a winch in the next 6 months. The biggest change with weight is the rear, which will be either empty or close to 500kg with an alloy canopy camping fridges long range fuel and water tanks etc.

It'll be used as a daily, on weekends for towing moto's/camping trips/light to medium 4wding at 4wd parks and planning on some touring to the cape etc.

Looking to keep it legal ( QLD ) and do the lift whilst keeping reliability esp. with CV angles etc. So will be looking for about 35mm lift on the front by winding up the factory torsion bars and seeing how they ride before upgrading, and 45mm on the rear with new leaf packs. Shocks I'll be looking to get from the US due to price, I've cross referenced part numbers and so far am looking to do the bilstein B6 4600 monotubes up front ( PN: 24-014687 ) and the rancho 9000xl's on the rear (PN: RS999143).

I've been going in circles with the various positive and negative feedback I've received on these shocks BUT from what I can determine the bilstein monotubes up front will resist fade better over a twin tube design, like a bit of weight on them due to the high pressure nitrogen and can be a bit firm, however can be revalved at about $80 a shock in Aus and also rebuilt. I've been told IFS loves the monutubes but at the same time have also been told to only to use low pressure gas twintubes up front - its a mixed bag of info out there. I'd really like to try the koni heavy tracks but can't seem to find them at a good price in comparison to the bilsteins.

The rancho RS9000xl adjustables on the rear in my mind should be able to cope with the various weights through adjustment to give the right ride.

Front torsions I'm going to leave stock and wind them up and determine what the ride is like before contemplating upgrading.

Rear leaf packs have been a mission to see what works for me but from what I can see - parabolics need a bit of constant weight and come in at about $300 more than standard raised multi leaf packs, raised multi leaf packs from most of the major Aus suppliers seem to be of similar design features bar the Ultimate leaf packs and the rock crawlers which seem to both have a few extra desgin features to add comfort/capability. The SAX seems to get rave reviews at first then the problems seem to emerge and price makes them a bit of a turn off unless they really do deliver but from what i can see them seem to be a standard 2 stage multi leaf design with a parabolic leaf incorporated as the third stage.

So I'm thinking the rear leaf packs will be either the rockcrawler 0-500kg loads or the ultimate 0- GVM leaf packs, and could use something like a Delrin/teflon liner to gain a bit more comfort down the road. To level after the load is put in, I'm undecided on whether to try a bolt on system like the sax equalizer, aussie super springs or air bags. I could go a heavier pack like say 2/300 kgs to GVM but would be a bit concerned if they would ride rough when fully unladen.

Whats everyones thoughts ? I'm going a bit stir crazy trying to get it right first time.
shooter114

Re: IFS hilux lift, shocks - SAX?

Postby shooter114 on Fri, 18 Sep 2015 7:58 +0000

Ended up pulling the trigger on the bilstein monotubes up front and the new style of rancho adjustables for the rear. They just look like cosmetic upgrades but people reckon they are better than the old adjustables ?!
shooter114

Re: IFS hilux lift, shocks - SAX?

Postby pipert on Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:51 +0000

If it was me, I'd go with the Bilsteins for the extra coin. They're a quality shock and you shouldn't run into any issues with them. If you run a bullbar and have accessories (winch, spotties), I'd recommend upgrading to heavy duty torsion bars. They're about $250-$300 for a pair. I'm running HD Dobinson torsion bars in mine and I haven't noticed any sag.

I have 300kg rated Tough Dog leafs (suit 2" lift) in the rear along with 2" extended shackles and 79 series Landcruiser extended shocks to suit 4" lift. The rear holds up fine and I have a steel tray with canopy sitting.
2000 Dual Cab Hilux "Tonka" LN167
pipert

Return to Suspension