04 Sr5 Duel Cab (kzn165) Suspension Heights

04 Sr5 Duel Cab (kzn165) Suspension Heights

Postby Swaggie on Wed, 25 Feb 2015 2:53 +0000

Hi Guys

Have been trying to find out if my Hilux has been lifted 2 inch or not.. Most say it has but I would like concrete proof. Could some one be so kind as to give me the standard Heights for this model. Basically measuring from the bottom of the rim (front and rear) to the undergraurd.Even if you own this model and you know it hasn't been lifted it would be kool iif you could measure it please.. :D

Thanks guys..

Cheers
Swaggie

Re: 04 Sr5 Duel Cab (kzn165) Suspension Heights

Postby Swaggie on Sat, 28 Feb 2015 11:52 +0000

Ok this is for anyone else that may have the same question.. I eventually found the ultimate suspension Heights thread on people lifts beforehand and after..

This was posted by a member awhile ago..

2005 SR5 Stock 15" Rims

Ultimate Suspension 2" Lift Kit - Comfort rear springs - Only installed on the weekend

Front - 750mm
Rear - 830mm

Now the question I have is the last of the old models was finished up in early 05 (which is mine) and the brand new Hilux was released later that year. I don't know if he had the early model or the late model. If so did the original suspension Heights stay the same ??

My Front - 750mm
Rear-780 mm

So I believe my Hilux has been lifted but there is 50mm rear sag although looking at the vehicle even fully loaded looks level.... I also have a Kaymar Bar with Tyre etc , ARB Canopy and Lowline 6x4 steel roof rack... So a bit of weight..

Cheers
Swaggie

Postby hotMetal on Sun, 08 Mar 2015 9:22 +0000

Most Hilux's without any lift kits are raised over others.

This is because of mainly Tyres used, and torsion bars wound up slightly.
Mine has 265/75R16 Tyres with the torsion bars turned up, and it sits higher than every other stock Hilux.
No suspension work done at all!

To have concrete proof, report back on on your tyre dimensions and torsion bar setting.

Cheers
hotMetal

Postby Swaggie on Fri, 13 Mar 2015 3:37 +0000

hotMetal wrote:Most Hilux's without any lift kits are raised over others.

This is because of mainly Tyres used, and torsion bars wound up slightly.
Mine has 265/75R16 Tyres with the torsion bars turned up, and it sits higher than every other stock Hilux.
No suspension work done at all!

To have concrete proof, report back on on your tyre dimensions and torsion bar setting.

Cheers

Hi mate

Thanks for your reply, yep I reckon your spot on there. That's why its hard to tell just by looking at them,even stock standard in 04 all look like there been lifted although I doubt they have. I'm running the 31" MTZ's
Not sure how to get the torsion bar setting,will have to ask a mate. ?

Cheers
Swaggie

Postby hotMetal on Wed, 25 Mar 2015 5:02 +0000

Swaggie wrote:
Hi mate

Thanks for your reply, yep I reckon your spot on there. That's why its hard to tell just by looking at them,even stock standard in 04 all look like there been lifted although I doubt they have. I'm running the 31" MTZ's
Not sure how to get the torsion bar setting,will have to ask a mate. ?

Cheers

Yeah, 31" MTZ's will do it! I think mine works out to be around 32" rolling diameter. Standard tyres for the SR5 is 255/70R15 which is only a 29" rolling diameter. That's a 2-2.5" axle lift straight away with only a tyre change. However, please remember that a tyre with new tread, especially a mud terrain will have more due to that aggressive rubber on it. Might scrape your guards on full lock, removal of front mud flaps and a grinder will solve that issue :) Add torsion bar to the mix and this will lift the front up a touch as well. Around a 2" lift without a lift kit! This is from the lowest point, so the front suspension components, not a body lift, which is counter productive for getting a true lift off the ground. It may help approach and departure angles but your axles and IFS will still hit. The SR5 already has larger wheels fitted so they would look higher than the non SR5's, stock vs stock.

Tightening up the torsion bars and ensuring your sway-bar is good, bushes and all, makes the thing corner like crazy with minimal body roll too. I can take corners faster than other 4wd's and remain flatter, more in control, this ends up kicking out the rear end and some drifting action happens. 15-17PSI boost might help with that I suppose. Smoking those Micky T 4 Ribs. Mine is the 1KZ just before EGR was introduced in 2002, literally by 3 months, so I can tap mine for more power. But a tighter torsion bar does reduce wheel travel, so there is compromise in what you want to achieve. Look-up Snake Racing's X-Flex torsion bars http://www.snakeracing.com.au/hilux-lift-kit-pre05.html, more settings and wheel travel.

Mine clears deep ruts in the bush, and sand build-up in the center on the beach as is. With all Toyota LSD's fitted to our luxes, it's more slip than limit, but if yours is good, or if you have diff locks, most terrain can easily be mastered! I recently did Fraser Island and stayed in 2wd 90% of the time, even over Indian Head. Just boost and good tyre pressures will get you there!

It's always makes me laugh to see these super high lifted luxes getting stuck everywhere, beach and bush terrain. Lift kits help yes, but get those tyres perfect and the lift kit will be your friend. Only reason I don't like lift kits are because the center of gravity is to high then, meaning more body roll, less highway speed, more fuel consumption, more drag etc. But this is personal preference only, others like high luxes and don't care about speed or body roll. Get your axles off the ground and pick your line = success!

Have fun Mate!
hotMetal

Postby Swaggie on Mon, 06 Apr 2015 10:15 +0000

Thanks for taking the time to explain mate.. NO front or rear lockers yet. I've been all over The High Country and this vehicle has served me well. I'll have it for awhile yet... :D

Thanks once again...
Swaggie

Return to Suspension