Flogged out 2 week old tough dog top strut bolt??

Flogged out 2 week old tough dog top strut bolt??

Postby luxxury on Sat, 13 Dec 2014 9:00 +0000

Hey lads, I put a 2" tough dog kit in me 2007 hilux aswell as 35mm bodylift a few weeks ago and the fronts ay bit nose down so I called superior engineering and got some 5mm spacers to lift it about 10mm over the axle, I started putting them spacers in after work today and I got the left side strut out and put the 5mm ring on top put it back in and started on the right side and this is where it turned to shit I got the 2 front facing top nuts a few turns then went to crack the one behind near the turbo in that prick of ay spot and the whole bolt started spinning with the nut, it's difficult to get anything in there I was going to drill it- wouldn't fit, grinder- wouldn't fit tried prying on it with force but can't even get a flat blade screwdriver in there to hold the bolt so the only thing I could do was use vice grips to grab the top of the bolt thread while I started to undo the nut then it was that tight the nut stripped the thread on the way up and now sits halfway on the bolt thread and I can't get the bloody strut out. The only thing left I can think of is to get a hacksaw blade tomoro and wrap a rag around it and try hand saw the thread through because i tried belting it with a chisel and it wouldn't cut through the bolt would love anyones insight if at all possible this is driving me crazy that suspension components not even a month old have flogged out and yes I torqued them correctly they were not over tensioned
luxxury

Re: Flogged out 2 week old tough dog top strut bolt??

Postby martynvella on Sun, 14 Dec 2014 5:26 +0000

Bloody hell, try going for a lie down and maybe you will wake up and find it was a dream.

If that don't work see if you can hire or buy cheaply an air saw, they are like a hacksaw blade but you don't cut your hand to pieces using it, there are electric ones too.

Good luck.
martynvella

Postby travo on Sun, 14 Dec 2014 5:44 +0000

Don't use a hacksaw and rag, you'll cut your fingers real quick.

See if you can get a mini hacksaw, theyre real cheap like this one or maybe even a small coping saw will work.

Good luck
travo

Postby fracturedranga on Sun, 14 Dec 2014 9:46 +0000

would you be able to get a nut splitter over the nut? there cheap as from bunnings and work a treat for stuff like this
http://www.bunnings.com.au/nut-splitter ... 7_p6110231

you put it over the nut with the chisel bit perpendicular to the nut and belt it with a hammer, tighten up some more and repeat, itd probably be easier then trying to cut it
fracturedranga

Postby luxxury on Sun, 14 Dec 2014 6:44 +0000

Thanks heaps boys I got her out went into bunnings this morning and chose a mini hacksaw from the rack and worked a treat I had a coping saw aswell but the fine teeth couldn't grab through the bolt, going to send it in to the local suspension place in Townsville tomorrow to get the strut compressed and new bolt in it then I can finally fit the 33's up before the weeks out if there are no more nasty suprises
luxxury

Postby Kizzzaaa on Sun, 14 Dec 2014 9:20 +0000

luxxury wrote:Thanks heaps boys I got her out went into bunnings this morning and chose a mini hacksaw from the rack and worked a treat I had a coping saw aswell but the fine teeth couldn't grab through the bolt, going to send it in to the local suspension place in Townsville tomorrow to get the strut compressed and new bolt in it then I can finally fit the 33's up before the weeks out if there are no more nasty suprises

Where you taking it to do that? I rang a few places in town 18mnths ago to get my ome strut springs changed to a heavier king spring I already had and they quoted like $300-400.

I ended up buying spring compressors and doing it myself!, easy job.
Kizzzaaa

Postby rysermon on Mon, 15 Dec 2014 12:12 +0000

mate, dremel, works a treat everytime, when you cant get a angle grinder in get the dremel haha saved me so many times !
"Lifes Simple, You make choices and you dont look back"
08 (09facelift) Hilux SR D4D - Daily and adventure vehicle
99 Silvia S15 Spec r - Sunday driver
rysermon

Return to Suspension