body lift - tight bolts

body lift - tight bolts

Postby beltcp on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 12:02 +0000

Hi all,

I have just prepared my hilux for a body lift. I have undone all the bolts no problems (6 on cab), I have taken out the two bolts from one side (back and middle), however the front bolts don’t come out loose (nut has been undone no problem, and I can turn the bolt from the top with quite a bit of force on one side). I’d like to take it out so I can go buy the extended bolts to replace them. Will they come out when I lift the body, or is there a reason the front are so tight in place? All the others are loose to come out once the nut is loose.

Any help would be appreciated.

I was thinking of putting some wood under the bolt and using a jack to force bolt upwards?

Also regarding lossening the steering column, do i need to loosen both below steering wheel and steering box? the steering box one looks like it has a lot of room to move, the one closer to the steering wheel looks like it has much less?

Cheers
beltcp

Re: body lift - tight bolts

Postby john253a on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 12:53 +0000

Yes they all come out
They get rusted in some times, especial the ones under the front window,
Make sure you get grade 8.8 (or 10.9) and not 4.6

The steering coloum undo both end slide it all way up and mark then all down and mark, then posion it in the middle and do up.
depending on amount of lift, You may even need a spacer to accomadte the extra length also depending on what mdl you have and how high you are going,

You'll also need to remove both gear shifter
And trim the hole out bigger, but mark where before you remove,

Also mdl dependent, you'll need to lift the radiator up with body and the bottom cross hose hits fan
And a front bar lift might also be needed as the over light loops on bullbar will now be blocking the lights,

If your doing 6 blocks
You must have a 2door
You'll also need to check behind the drivers seat for a grommet, (this is rear light) and make sure the cable is long enough
And the solid brake lines from master donot bend or get over stretched
farting is alot like jxxxxxg off. both provide instant gratification, but neither is a long term solution to the actual problem......................
john253a

Postby beltcp on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 2:57 +0000

Thanks for that mate, very helpful, just to clarify:

Mine is the late 97 model 3rz-fe (1998 to 2004 with single cab as you mentioned, im doing a 50mm lift)

1. Your saying just bang out the rusted bolts, or just start lifting and let them come out?
2. I un-did both ends of the steering column, I tried moving the shaft but it wasn’t moving, I was assuming it would move once I start lifting, do I need to ensure this moves before I start lifting?
3. Planning to lift then drop the radiator back down 50mm, that should solve the problem your talking bout?
4. Any tips on the tray? I looked and the bolt heads face down so I cant see the nut, are the in the actual tray? Not planning on doing this until I get the front done.

Cheers again
beltcp

Postby Bourbydol on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 3:27 +0000

Undo the radiator before lifting the body.
Unless you need the room for bigger tires or flex i personally would not bother lifting the tray, a tub=yes / tray=no.
All posts powered by Bourbon.
by Joonyah on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 3:43 +0000
My old man told me "son, if it floats,flies or f$@#&%, you are better off leasing it".
Bourbydol

Postby john253a on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 3:46 +0000

I've only ever lifted a tray car not tub
And never bothered to lift the tray

You need to get the bolts out before you lift cab
And free the steering column
When you undo the column bolt you'll need to spreed the sleeve with a flathead screwdriver and spray with some wd40

The rad on you car is bolted to front and will need to re drilled down 50mm or close to
So as the bottom hose doesn't hit the engine fan

I also disconnected all my brake lines when doing mine then tweek them back into location after finished, so as not to apply stress to all the fittings,

Pretty much anything that touches the body to chassis and body to engine will need to be address, inspected

When I did the last 3 hilux's (ln106 rn47 and rn105)
I did them all the same way, remove all the bolts, remove the battery,
Disconnect the steel brake lines at master , disconnect the rear tail lights at rear of cabin,
Loosen the steering shaft in 2 places under bonnet,
Drain the radiator, and remove top and bottom hoses.
Jack up body 75mm and use 75x40mm pine as braces and lower body down on it,
So entire body is safe to work under and alowing you 25mm to work with
Fit the blocks drop in the new bolts
Jack the body slightly and remove the wood
Lowering down the bolts should locate the block perfectly,

Tighten down the bolts to spec in manual
Remove centre console and rubber boot around shifters
Dry run through all the gears, trim floor where needed with snips, grinder whatever you have,
You may need to remove shifter to cut you may not
Refit in reverse

Stearing column as menshion rs as long there is enough shaft in locating collar you are fine if not you will need to either cut and extent shaft or buy and adaptor to extend
I cut mine on my rn46 ,I cut it shanfered the ends where I cut, cut down a bolt I had in the shed and welded it into it, I then slid over a piece of pipe and plug welded it (drill holes in the side and fill with weld)

Tweeked the brake line and refitted (bleed as per manual)

Radiator you may need to re drill either the node or radiator depending on the radiator
And reuse the original holes or make new one lower
Also not you may not be able to access filler, so a remote fill in top line may be needed, or just fit a smaller fan
farting is alot like jxxxxxg off. both provide instant gratification, but neither is a long term solution to the actual problem......................
john253a

Postby beltcp on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 6:16 +0000

Thanks guys. Done the cab. All went well. Tub for next weekend. Any tips? Worried about bolts breaking as there is no access to the nut side on most of them. What can i do if they break etc?

cheers
beltcp

Postby john253a on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 6:46 +0000

drill and easyout, but you may need some heat on them if they break

idd start using penatrine now, and if you don't have wd40 or crc,
john253a

Return to Suspension