2003 4" lift kit questions

2003 4" lift kit questions

Postby EKjimmy on Thu, 29 May 2014 7:23 +0000

Hi all,

Before I start - I just want to say that I have tried using the search button to no avail - maybe i'm using the wrong words or just happened to skip past the info I wanted by accident. So if there's a 20 page long thread on this, my apologies and it'd be great if someone could post up the link :)
I've also tried going through the pre 05 members section to see if I could find anyone who has a 4" kit in their Hilux, once again i've probably gone straight past the one i'm looking for.

I'm about to buy a 4" skyjacker lift kit for my 2003 VZN172R extra cab, and just had a few questions about installing it all.
First of all, with both diffs essentially being dropped down 4", naturally I'd expect the driveshafts to extend or slide out of the transfer case slightly. Should a spacer be installed between the diff and driveshaft, or would it not be affected too much?

Also, would the increase in the angle between the diffs and transfer cause any issues with vibrations or once again would the difference be negligible? I figure I could install something like a 1" spacer block between the x-member and centre bearing mount to ease the strain on the rear driveshaft, or is this unnecessary?

As extended shackles are illegal, will 2" blocks be ok on the rear? (Rear leafs are already lifted 2"). Or would it be better to have the springs reset to give a total of 4" of lift?

If anyone has one of these kits installed and wouldn't mind poking their head underneath and taking a few photos of any modifications to driveshafts or any other extra bits they had to do to make the 4" kit work, it would be appreciated.

On a side note, I don't do any serious off road driving, this is purely for looks as it's my daily driver and it cost me too much money to risk ruining it off road. One day i'll buy an old leaf sprung beater to thrash around the bush :lol:
So as long as the increased angles on the rear driveshaft will be ok for driving in 2WD and the front will be ok for getting me out of the mud, I'll be happy.

Thanks in advance,
James
EKjimmy

Return to Suspension