Rear clunk when my rear tyres go over a speed hump

Rear clunk when my rear tyres go over a speed hump

Postby apostoly on Thu, 27 Jun 2013 5:34 +0000

hey guys,

Ive been hearing this for the last month or so now but didnt give much notice to it

They have installed these new bloody speed humps to the entrance of my work, and every time my rear tyres go over them, especialy on the way down, there is a really loud clunk, movement type sound.

This is worrying because i have a trip coming up where its really rocky and hilly and need the car in tip top shape.

any ideas??
2nd Gear Low & GO GO GO

My Build Page - http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=9074

Pauly ;)
apostoly

Re: Rear clunk when my rear tyres go over a speed hump

Postby oggy on Thu, 27 Jun 2013 5:37 +0000

shock-absorbers or the bushes may be worn/ non existent would be my guess :?
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby scott3806 on Thu, 27 Jun 2013 8:33 +0000

i have a loud clunk as well that i cant find, only mine happens when i go around a corner, its hard to tell if its coming from the front or back and it only had a lift kit put in 6 months ago. drivin me nutz.
scott3806

Postby LUX666 on Thu, 27 Jun 2013 8:34 +0000

Mate I know this sounds silly but check the spare tyre in tightly wound up, if it's not tight it can cause a clunking sound as you described.
Talking from experience ! I checked and tightened everything, sound was still there, finally clicked and checked it last and it was it.

Cheers

John
" If All Else Fails !, Read The Instructions !"
LUX666

Postby apostoly on Thu, 27 Jun 2013 9:32 +0000

LUX666 wrote:Mate I know this sounds silly but check the spare tyre in tightly wound up, if it's not tight it can cause a clunking sound as you described.
Talking from experience ! I checked and tightened everything, sound was still there, finally clicked and checked it last and it was it.

Cheers

John

Mate, i hope you're onto something here!! that makes sense!!

because as i go over the hump, its like i can feel something hitting.

ill check it on my lunch break :)

Thanks, ill let you know how i go
2nd Gear Low & GO GO GO

Pauly ;)
apostoly

Postby craig-lapham on Thu, 27 Jun 2013 9:49 +0000

I had a mate with a 2013 SR5 has done 75000KLM he had a clunk for the front,
It turned out to be a cab mount was a little loose,
I would check all tub mounts to see if they are tight.

Just a side thought I have had a clunk from my back seat when its not latched properly ???????????
Apparently they aren't unbreakable ;-(
craig-lapham

Postby apostoly on Thu, 27 Jun 2013 9:57 +0000

craig-lapham wrote:I had a mate with a 2013 SR5 has done 75000KLM he had a clunk for the front,

Just a side thought I have had a clunk from my back seat when its not latched properly ???????????

nah its not the rear seat that's for sure, its definately something from the outside and underneath.

my back seat is still full of camping gear i haven't unpacked from my last trip lol, might as well leave it there for another 3 weeks.
2nd Gear Low & GO GO GO

Pauly ;)
apostoly

Postby apostoly on Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:26 +0000

LUX666 wrote:Mate I know this sounds silly but check the spare tyre in tightly wound up, if it's not tight it can cause a clunking sound as you described.

Cheers

John

Hi John or anyone else that might know.

I checked the spare wheel and it seemed to be pretty loose. i mean it wasn't moving by me just nudging on it, i needed to apply a little bit of force, but it definitely moves alot.

my question is, does it need to be 100% stiff with no movement?
2nd Gear Low & GO GO GO

Pauly ;)
apostoly

Postby craig-lapham on Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:58 +0000

apostoly wrote:

Cheers

John

Hi John or anyone else that might know.

I checked the spare wheel and it seemed to be pretty loose. i mean it wasn't moving by me just nudging on it, i needed to apply a little bit of force, but it definitely moves alot.

my question is, does it need to be 100% stiff with no movement?

Yes as tight as posible, I cant remember if the spare is a chain ( I think that was the older Hilux) or a wire cable.
I think it is a cable which will strech, One the spare is tight I ust to be able to get at least 2-3 extra turns and I would not move at all even if I kicked it.

Or take the spare out for a day drive the humps and see if the noise goes away???????
Apparently they aren't unbreakable ;-(
craig-lapham

Postby trigg on Thu, 27 Jun 2013 1:20 +0000

N0t sure if its been said but check the Ubolts. Mine came loose and made a hell of noise. Found out they were never done up properly by fourplay 4x4 in adelaide. They then told me it was my fault and had no warranty. They never told me to come back and i took it back 4 times saying it was not right and there was a noise. :x :x
trigg

Postby doyta on Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:05 +0000

spare tire. with my spare tyre i went to clark rubber and got some 10mm think rubber with sticky shit one side and stuck it either side. works a tread and also does rubb shit out of ya wheel.
Put it in gear and go farking go.
doyta

Postby LUX666 on Fri, 28 Jun 2013 7:37 +0000

Yes tight as possible, also undo it and then re-tighten so it sits right on the cross supports and check the chain is handing through the wheel as the chain also causes a clunking sound.
Doyta has a great idea about the rubber as long as it stays put and doesn't rip off, in my experience the spare moves as the body flexes and does loosen up on occasionally.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

John
" If All Else Fails !, Read The Instructions !"
LUX666

Postby lais817 on Fri, 28 Jun 2013 7:57 +0000

apostoly wrote:
craig-lapham wrote:I had a mate with a 2013 SR5 has done 75000KLM he had a clunk for the front,

nah its not the rear seat that's for sure, its definately something from the outside and underneath.

my back seat is still full of camping gear i haven't unpacked from my last trip lol, might as well leave it there for another 3 weeks.

My back seats make a thunk over bumps etc when they have somebody sitting on them or when I've got gear on them. It's not as silly an idea to check them as it sounds. See if you can wedge a bit of rubber / garden hose over the rear "Hooks" where the seats attach to the rear wall and see if the noise is still there.
Insert witty comment here

Check out my Build: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11921
lais817

Postby Swinder on Sat, 29 Jun 2013 5:34 +0000

doyta wrote:spare tire. with my spare tyre i went to clark rubber and got some 10mm think rubber with sticky shit one side and stuck it either side. works a tread and also does rubb shit out of ya wheel.

That's a good idea doyta ,I like it.
I will doing this tomorrow when I get a chance. :D
Swinder

Postby apostoly on Sun, 30 Jun 2013 11:14 +0000

Thanks Boys, once all this rain stops i might be able to actually get to my car without getting soaked!!

ill be tightnening the wheel later, i actually noticed that it was just touching the left leaf springs from memory so might need to reposition it abit better
2nd Gear Low & GO GO GO

Pauly ;)
apostoly

Postby wwilko79 on Mon, 01 Jul 2013 7:36 +0000

Yep had the same sound coming from the rear of mine. Noticed when I stopped suddenly that there was even a little delay in the noise being made. Tightened the spare wheel about half a turn and not a sound since.
wwilko79

Postby znelbok on Thu, 11 Jul 2013 10:06 +0000

I had the same issue recently. The shackle bushes were worn and the spring was resting on the shackle pin. When I hit a speed bump (or other bump) the pin would mve off the spring and then back and make the noise you are indicating.

Spare tyre is unlikely as it is rubber agaist steel. The chain may make a noise, but that should always have been doing it.

My bet is the bushes need to be re-done. A simple job that takes all of about 30 minutes /side to do. i did one side before I went to work one morning.

As for the comment about a clunk when cornering. Springs will do this as they have a small amount of leteral movement. The clunk is the spring hitting the retainer clip. Very common sound.

Mick
Last edited by znelbok on Thu, 11 Jul 2013 11:54 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
znelbok

Postby chippo89 on Thu, 11 Jul 2013 11:50 +0000

thanks guys, this makes sense.

I just noticed the same noise coming from the outside rear of my ute the other day and was hoping that isn't anything too serious.
but shaw enough i've just looked at the spare and shes a bit loose.

thanks again guys was a massive help :)
Luke :)

you've gotta risk it for the biscuit

check out my build and let me know what your think :)
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18679
chippo89
Platinum Subscriber

Postby PLN on Sat, 10 Aug 2013 5:04 +0000

znelbok wrote:I had the same issue recently. The shackle bushes were worn and the spring was resting on the shackle pin. When I hit a speed bump (or other bump) the pin would mve off the spring and then back and make the noise you are indicating.

Spare tyre is unlikely as it is rubber agaist steel. The chain may make a noise, but that should always have been doing it.

My bet is the bushes need to be re-done. A simple job that takes all of about 30 minutes /side to do. i did one side before I went to work one morning.

As for the comment about a clunk when cornering. Springs will do this as they have a small amount of leteral movement. The clunk is the spring hitting the retainer clip. Very common sound.

Mick

My spings make a terrible amount of clunking and i was hoping i could do something to stop it. Would it help to re-tension the centre bolt in the spring pack?
PLN

Postby Rocket55 on Sat, 10 Aug 2013 5:19 +0000

My rear springs make a hell of a racket banging the leaves together over short sharp bumps. Drives me mad. Best solution to date, is go wheelin in it and fill them full of mud, at least it keeps them quiet until it all dries and falls out :(
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Next

Return to Suspension