Rear clunk when my rear tyres go over a speed hump

Re: Rear clunk when my rear tyres go over a speed hump

Postby Kizzzaaa on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 4:12 +0000

hylux wrote:
Kizzzaaa wrote:No tub or lid either man. I can hear it when very slowly reversing and applying the foot brake. What could that mean?

You are not talking about he front brake pads clunking are you - some do this when you go into reverse and apply the brakes as the pads move around a little

Possibly but I haven't adjusted the front brakes for ages. So not sure if its that.
Kizzzaaa

Postby BEN_SR on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 6:20 +0000

Do you have airbags in the rear by chance? I know my bags rock around like a bitch when they have less than 5 pound in them.
BEN_SR

Postby Qwerty on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 7:30 +0000

Kizzzaaa wrote:
R wrote:May sound Stupid Guys but was amazed when i found it..
Check that the Hand Brake Cable coming from the rear Axles up to the centre cable is all secure and not hitting the body there are a couple of brackets built onto the cable. My old boys Work Hilux was driving him mad found one little bracket loose allowing it to hit the body just below the rear door. for something so little man it was LOUD....
Hope this helps Someone Some day ;) ;)

Just checked all the brake cables and tightened it all. The leaf bushes are lubed up but i suppose it's possible they are flogged out. The front suspension squeaks a little bit but it sounds like its the rear end. I cant hear the sound if I sit the ute on flat ground with the engine off and shake the feck out of it. It's so annoying!.

Flex / articulate over some undulating terrain slowly, bushes should clunk and show themselves. Even then with mine my suspension guy was puzzled until he pulled the whole leaf pack out and discovered it. Had the leafs stripped greased and re packed with some better poly bushes.
Qwerty

Postby Kizzzaaa on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 5:34 +0000

Qwerty wrote:
Kizzzaaa wrote:
R wrote:May sound Stupid Guys but was amazed when i found it..
Check that the Hand Brake Cable coming from the rear Axles up to the centre cable is all secure and not hitting the body there are a couple of brackets built onto the cable. My old boys Work Hilux was driving him mad found one little bracket loose allowing it to hit the body just below the rear door. for something so little man it was LOUD....
Hope this helps Someone Some day ;) ;)

Just checked all the brake cables and tightened it all. The leaf bushes are lubed up but i suppose it's possible they are flogged out. The front suspension squeaks a little bit but it sounds like its the rear end. I cant hear the sound if I sit the ute on flat ground with the engine off and shake the feck out of it. It's so annoying!.

Flex / articulate over some undulating terrain slowly, bushes should clunk and show themselves. Even then with mine my suspension guy was puzzled until he pulled the whole leaf pack out and discovered it. Had the leafs stripped greased and re packed with some better poly bushes.

No airbags, yea I'll have to try flex it out sometime when I unhook the trailer. It sounds like a medicine balls is rolling around in the tray.
Kizzzaaa

Postby Kizzzaaa on Sun, 24 Aug 2014 12:40 +0000

Still can't work out where the noise is coming from. My mate seems to think its the bottom coil base hitting the swaybar but when flexed up it's not making the sound. Went 4wding today and could hear it every now and then. Just going to live with it until whatever it is breaks haha.
Kizzzaaa

Postby 10 luxxxx on Sun, 24 Aug 2014 1:35 +0000

Do you have sway bar relocators they worked for me.
10 luxxxx

Postby Kizzzaaa on Sun, 24 Aug 2014 1:46 +0000

10 luxxxx wrote:Do you have sway bar relocators they worked for me.

Nope. Dont really need them.
Kizzzaaa

Postby Kizzzaaa on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 6:47 +0000

Okay noise has pissed me off again haha. It did it tonight as I was reversing onto my trailer. Also does it going around round abouts slowly. Seems like its the rear. Could it be a uni joint? Leafs moving sideways?
Kizzzaaa

Postby Qwerty on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 8:03 +0000

Pulled thr leafs out and inspected all the bushes ? (Can't see them until you pull it all apart).
Qwerty

Postby Kizzzaaa on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 6:39 +0000

Took ute into ARB Townsville for them to look at today and it actually turned out to be the steering hydraulic pump thing on the drivers side had come loose. I tightened the bolt up (it turned about 2mm and the sound is gone). So hard to diagnose something by yourself. I thought it was the rear! Suspension is just out of warranty but they put new rear hangers on and anti squeak shims in between the leafs free of charge. Big thanks to those guys.
Kizzzaaa

Postby Qwerty on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 6:49 +0000

Yeah man it can be a bitch finding noises. I had a clunk that had everyone stumped. Turned out was a bullbar mount cracking sound when chassis flexed over uneven terrain. Took a guy hanging from the bonnet while driving over speed humps on an angle to find it.
Qwerty

Previous

Return to Suspension