Upper Control Arm Replacement

Upper Control Arm Replacement

Postby Bradlze on Tue, 27 Mar 2012 9:28 +0000

Hi guys
I am looking at replacing my upper control arms with new ones with uniballs in them
On the market there is

Total chaos Roughly $950 Delivered
Monster rides $1095
Tufflux - $880 delivered
Camburg $1195 from VMN

any pros and cons of each of these? facts only please

I guess Total Chaos would have a con of only having a 1" uniball compared to a 1.25" uniball that the others have
Last edited by Bradlze on Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:00 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Bradlze

Re: Upper Control Arm Replacement

Postby bansheebuzz on Tue, 27 Mar 2012 9:59 +0000

cons, they have uniballs, there illiegal and wear out very fast compared to ball joints. You can get camber bushes the top arm to correct wheel alignment with raised vehicles if thats why you want them
05 SR5 Xtra Cab D4D
Mudgeeraba Auto Electrical
bansheebuzz

Postby snuff69101 on Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:14 +0000

x2 what bansheebuzz says, they are illegal i got pinged by the pits here for the total chaos gear especially the UCA'S. It was the first thing they picked up on and told me to change. If your from Perth take it into account. Im currently in the process of putting all my stock gear back on to get it passed :cry:
snuff69101

Postby Bradlze on Wed, 28 Mar 2012 3:52 +0000

nobody else?
Bradlze

Postby gavishuge on Wed, 28 Mar 2012 4:15 +0000

I have run the Camburg upper arms for awhile now and they are great as opposed to the standard ones, especially if you have a big lift. But as snuff said, these will not pass the pits I have already tried and he is in that same predicament at the moment. If I could do it again I would probably get the Monster Rides ones, they look strong as, good price and they come in black for that stealthier look :D

Cheerz
Gav
gavishuge

Postby k_san on Tue, 03 Apr 2012 12:39 +0000

bansheebuzz wrote:cons, they have uniballs, there illiegal and wear out very fast compared to ball joints. You can get camber bushes the top arm to correct wheel alignment with raised vehicles if thats why you want them

I need to get more castor out of mine with a 3 inch lift and 265x75's, at the moment my front wheels sit to far back with the castors at fll adjustment - which gives me a crazy vibration through the steering wheel, can also be felt from the passenger seat...Goodyear reckon its like a shopping trolley wheel effect - where when you push the trolley along the back wheels flap around...they told me to source out some after market UCA's to see if I can get more adjustment...are there castor correction bushes / pins available?
Cheers

4WD's - Turning round-abouts into over-abouts :)
k_san

Postby danmcccc on Tue, 03 Apr 2012 4:12 +0000

just get the extended ball joint ones if its legality your worried about :roll: but if you need them coz of lift then your lift is gonna be illegal anyways....but uniballs do wear out faster and they dont have boots aroud themso grit and crap can get into them making their life even shorter...i have camburg with the 45mm? extended ball joint and they work a treat

Dan
old enough to know better...young enough to not give a f**k

MY KILLER BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?t=9235
danmcccc

Postby ultimate on Wed, 04 Apr 2012 10:18 +0000

just get the extended ball joint ones if its legality your worried about

Extended ball joints will normally make the wheel alignment even worse. When we designed them for the Navara, they had to be installed with off set castor bushes.

are there castor correction bushes / pins available?

There are castor correction bushes available and they work incredibly well. Most vehicles only require the top control arm bushes but you can do the bottom as well. By decreasing the camber, you will increase the castor.

All the bushes we used are manufactured by SuperPro in QLD.

Top Control Arm Kit
SPF3230K-Inner Eccentric Kit =$290
Contains- 4 Bushings, 4 Inner Tubes, 4 Washers, 1 Instruction Sheet
Special notes- Offset tube in kit for Camber Decrease on raised vehicles, Remove original shell for fitment

Lower Control Arm Kit
SPF3146K- INNER FRONT ECCENTRIC =$280
Contains- 2 Bushings, 2 Inner Tubes, 2 Outer Shells, 4 Washers, 1 Instruction Sheet
Special Notes- 2 x Offset, aprox 0.6 degree camber change

SPF3147K- INNER REAR ECCENTRIC =$320
Contains- 2 Bushings, 2 Inner Tubes, 2 Outer Shells, 4 Washers, 1 Instruction Sheet
Special notes- 2 x Offset bushings, aprox 0.6 degree camber change.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby k_san on Wed, 04 Apr 2012 2:15 +0000

Well there you go - I was only looking for your number to call you up....excellent - I think I'll do both top and bottom - got a couple of long trips and lots of offroad activity coming up so it probably won't hurt to do the lot?

Can you please PM me with the details for payment and we can get the ball rolling!

Cheers!
Cheers

4WD's - Turning round-abouts into over-abouts :)
k_san

Postby gruntre69 on Wed, 04 Apr 2012 7:03 +0000

snuff69101 wrote:x2 what bansheebuzz says, they are illegal i got pinged by the pits here for the total chaos gear especially the UCA'S. It was the first thing they picked up on and told me to change. If your from Perth take it into account. Im currently in the process of putting all my stock gear back on to get it passed :cry:

I'm considering importing a set of camburg ball joint versions directly from the US. How did it come about that you got pinged? Was it a random thing or related to something else??

If anyone is interested I can probably get the Camburg Ball joint UCAs arrived here for around $450 if I have another person to split freight costs... :idea:
Cheers

Grunter
http://gatorz.com.au/
If it's in the way...... use it for traction!
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby snuff69101 on Wed, 04 Apr 2012 11:04 +0000

Was pulled over for a booze bus and the copper gave me the sticker for my wheel track being to wide, Was ridculous because at the same time they waved through a cruiser with a massive lift and 35's sticking way outside the flares, then once i went through the pits on 32' tyres they would not pass me for the total chaos UCA'S and coilovers.
snuff69101

Postby gruntre69 on Thu, 05 Apr 2012 9:36 +0000

snuff69101 wrote:Was pulled over for a booze bus and the copper gave me the sticker for my wheel track being to wide, Was ridculous because at the same time they waved through a cruiser with a massive lift and 35's sticking way outside the flares, then once i went through the pits on 32' tyres they would not pass me for the total chaos UCA'S and coilovers.

That's interesting, how much where the tyres hanging out? There is a good case for painting aftermarket front end stuff black. I don't think it would raise any attention if the Struts and UCAs are black. Seems like a crime though to paint some of those beautifully annodised Struts though..... Think I'd rather not have the cops hassle me..... :twisted:
Cheers

Grunter
http://gatorz.com.au/
If it's in the way...... use it for traction!
My build thread
gruntre69

Return to Suspension