Bad noise from front wheels

Need something to get you rolling?

Bad noise from front wheels

Postby RonBacardi8 on Fri, 18 Nov 2011 6:18 +0000

Hi,

I recently return from Ninghan station north of Perth on an overnight camp 4x4 weekend.
I got massively bogged in the stickiest mud I have ever seen. My front wheels were bogged up to 80% and was winched out by a rodeo :( but he was bogged to and needed my help afterwards so It wasn't so bad.
Anyways I washed my lux for 2.5 hours with a highpressuer hose and got most of the hard set mud, and then repeated the same cleaning the following day, so it's pretty clean now. 2 days ago a noise started from the front wheels (mainly the front left and when I turn left is sometimes worse)
Sometimes when I break the noise goes away, so I pulled both front wheels of and cleaned the breaks. The noise stopped for a day and is now back again. Its so bad to the point that it sounds like a train stopping but yet comes and goes. Usually starts when I go slow and turn left (the left wheel was the most bogged).
Has anyone had a similar problem?
I can only think of three things
1 CV on it's way out
2 front wheel bearings
3 breaks are stuffed

Any help would be awesome, as I want to prevent going to a mechanic.
RonBacardi8

Re: Bad noise from front wheels

Postby Qwerty on Fri, 18 Nov 2011 6:54 +0000

rip it all apart and you'll find the culprit mate. Diagnosis aint going to be any more technical than that.

that much noise will yield an obvious result quickly, I'd think.
Qwerty

Postby RonBacardi8 on Fri, 18 Nov 2011 8:05 +0000

Yep too right mate, started to pull it all apart and found that small rocks within that mud made it between the back of the hub and the thin black metal guard, trapping the rocks between the break pads so there was no exit for the rocks.
Was easy to scoop out with a screw driver :D
RonBacardi8

Postby Qwerty on Fri, 18 Nov 2011 8:18 +0000

Cool nice cheap one then :)

I've got a clicky clickity in mine at moment , a rock in the tyre tread I reckon , can't Ve assed finding it !
Qwerty

Postby skookumchuck on Sun, 04 Dec 2011 3:59 +0000

i had the same sort of noise plus a whoopm, whoopm as i drove. this also was after i had been on muddy tracks. i had recently put new cv joints in and i thought it was them. i swapped them over but the whoopming noise was there all the time but the other noise, a screeching /ringing noise would come periodically. it would stop if i slowed down. it was coming from the front left and i thought a cv joint was faulty. then after jacking the car up on 4 wheels and putting it into 4wd i listened and thought it was the front diff. anyway after a lot of stuffing around a mechanic said to jack it up. take the wheel off, the gold grease cap off, the cv locking bolt, the axle plate with the 6 nuts and cone washers so the cv joint is free to slide in and out a bit. then put the wheel back on and take it for a drive. hey presto the noise had gone ! what it was, was the needle/roller bearing on the inside of the wheel hub. so i'm taking it off and getting that needle /roller bearing replaced and also whilst it's off , the wheel bearings as well. try that and if the noise disappears, that's it. saved me putting in a new front diff !
cheers
skookumchuck

Return to Tyres & Wheels