Removing thread stripped REAR diff plug

Removing thread stripped REAR diff plug

Postby darbio on Sat, 23 May 2015 4:04 +0000

Hi guys,

My diff was leaking so I went to remove the plug and replace with a new one only to find that the bottom rear diff plug is spinning in the hole. Can't get it out with my socket set.

Short of removing the axle and pushing from inside, how can I remove the thread stripped plug?

I have a set of ezy outs, but I'm concerned that won't work with a stripped thread.

Any tips?
darbio

Re: Removing thread stripped diff plug

Postby gregn on Sat, 23 May 2015 4:44 +0000

dont know really bit of a bugger that one, only thing i can think of is welding something to it so you can twist and pull at the same time. someone else might have a better idea though.
gregn

Postby bob14hilux on Sat, 23 May 2015 5:14 +0000

Try a pair of vice grips and pull as you are turning
Bob

Build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23413

If beer and women are not the answer then you are asking the wrong question
bob14hilux

Postby anthony kemp on Sun, 24 May 2015 6:12 +0000

the rear center isnt a big job to pull out i would be doing that. then you can push from inside. i dare say you will have to cut out the old thread boss anyway and weld in a new one so would be a lot better to weld on the inside and outside.
anthony kemp

Postby kizza1 on Sun, 24 May 2015 7:24 +0000

has it come out at all? if you could get under it you could use a tie rod tool "fork looking thing" to get behind it like a wedge and push on it while you undo it. if not you would have to take the centre out or weld a washer on to the base of the bolt head so you can lever on that. you will probably need to helicoil the thread after you get it out.
kizza1

Postby Krat on Mon, 25 May 2015 12:31 +0000

kizza1 wrote:has it come out at all? if you could get under it you could use a tie rod tool "fork looking thing" to get behind it like a wedge and push on it while you undo it.

x2 with this process. I have used a pair of tin snips to achieve the same outcome.
Hopefully the plug is stripped and not the diff thread.
You can then just tidy it up with a thread cutter. Fingers crossed.:)
Krat

Postby darbio on Mon, 25 May 2015 8:29 +0000

Thanks guys. I tried pulling on the plug with a set of vice grips whilst spinning it. No luck...

Tried heating with a blowtorch and repeating. No luck...

Then I went to bed.

Got back underneath the ute this evening, removed the diff and had a look inside.

Tapped the plug with a hammer, and then started trying to untighten. She bit on the thread slightly, but not enough to come off.

Ended up pressing down on it whilst I turned the plug and she bit and came out. Winning!

The good news is that the thread in the axle casing looks pretty good, and only the plug is stripped.

Gonna go down to Toyota spares and get a new diff plug and see if she fits the thread. Fingers crossed she will! Otherwise I'll buy a thread cutter and tidy her up.

Got some Permatex ultra grey in the shed - will that be ok for the gasket? Or is there an actual gasket to use?

Thanks for the tips guys!

darbio

Postby Wing on Mon, 25 May 2015 9:11 +0000

I use generic gaskets from auto stores. The type cost $5 and contains gaskets of all sizes and all materials.
Wing

Return to Tips & Tricks