Door trim panels

Door trim panels

Postby Matt02hilux on Tue, 03 Apr 2012 4:09 +0000

Hi guys
Does anyone know the best way to take the door trim off the 2002 hilux's? I dont want to break any of the plastic when i put my speakers in.
Thanks for your help
Matt02hilux

Re: Door trim panels

Postby Wing on Tue, 03 Apr 2012 6:58 +0000

something has to be broken ;)
Wing

Postby Putsy on Wed, 04 Apr 2012 7:35 +0000

Dont loose the angel clip for the window winder :? other then that from meorey there are no hidden screws to stop you!
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6631&p=95887&hilit=Putsy#p95887 My Build... A little small but its not always the size that matters ;)

putsy@newhilux.net
Putsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TDog on Wed, 04 Apr 2012 8:39 +0000

Mate, I recently installed a central locking kit in my 2003 Hilux, so had all 4 door trims off. They are much better than the old style "cardboard" trims which would break or rip out the clips if you looked sideways at them.

The clip behind the window winder is the trickiest bit. I had a "spanner" from a bike which was really just a piece of flat steel with notches of different sizes. I found one which fitted nicely behind the handle and lined it up with the ends and it popped off pretty easy. I have also heard of using a shoelace wrapped around which grabs the 2 prongs and pushes them back. If you do lose them or break them, you can buy new clips for the window winder on the Bay of E!
When re-installing the winders, make sure you are happy with the position of the handle at full up and fig down. I am a big guy and the first time with the window up, the handle was in exactly right place to rest my knee against while driving. Very bloody annoying!
There is a screw in the back of the door handle piece and then a series of clips around the edge. I use a steel rule and slide it around until it's next to a clip, and twist to pop them one by one.
Once all free, the trim lifts up as it kind of curls over and in to the window slot.

Was pretty easy. Just don't rush it and check everything twice. Worst thing is to start out the job with a deadline in place! Don't start it unless you know you don't have to have it all back together before x time so you can go out with the missus or something silly!
My Build Thread!

Beer O'Clock Hill!
LCMP Camp Road!
Janowen Hills Mud Run!

If you don't mind .......... I have a serious crush on my Hilux!
TDog
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Matt02hilux on Wed, 04 Apr 2012 8:46 +0000

Thanks heaps for your help guys.! Might have to takle it soon.
Cheers!
Matt02hilux

Postby Matt02hilux on Wed, 04 Apr 2012 8:47 +0000

By the way Tdog, how hard was it to install the central locking kit? Im really keen on doing one myself.
Cheers
Matt02hilux

Postby TDog on Wed, 04 Apr 2012 9:00 +0000

Very easy mate. I got the kit with the remote from Supercheap and did it in a day in the driveway at home.

The wiring is all plug in and is dead easy to run. One of the reasons I love the older Hiluxes! THe kick panels, door trims and scuff plates come off so easy and the holes etc are all there.

Trickiest part is getting the actuator rod attached to the existing rod. Basically the little actuator attached by rod to the lock knob with a little clamp. The Hilux of this era have the anti theft sleeve which covers nearly all the stock rod so you can't slide the old coat hangar etc down beside the window and "pop" the door lock inside the door. Once you work out how to do these, it is very simple. Mount the actuator, bend the rod slightly to meet up with the existing rod and clamp it up.

Also an excellent chance to clean out all the dirt, sand etc which is under the floor covering (mines vinyl) and the suff plates. I found a couple of bucks in change too!
My Build Thread!

Beer O'Clock Hill!
LCMP Camp Road!
Janowen Hills Mud Run!

If you don't mind .......... I have a serious crush on my Hilux!
TDog
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Matt02hilux on Wed, 04 Apr 2012 11:08 +0000

Sweet thanks heaps mate
Matt02hilux

Return to Tips & Tricks