Steering issue

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Steering issue

Postby falz on Tue, 29 Mar 2011 1:56 +0000

Hi, Ive been having this problem with my steering in my 99' single cab where it seems to feel very light/floaty when travelling straight, and seems to lag initially when turning. It drives true/straight when you take hand off the wheel, but feels like it wandering when holding.

Ive got Maxxis at 771a 225/70/r16s, i run 32psi front 36psi on back.

I pulled my damper off yesterday, and it seemed to slide in and out without binding or anything (its an EFS damper on been on the ute about 18mths), All the steering componants, according to the mechanic are 100%, they replaced the idler arm, and ball joints etc, and said that the steering gear box is ok, but i hav a feeling that there is some slip initially, i also find for some reason if i reverse and go full left down the box clunks like no tomorrow.

a few things about my ute; Ive got 2" lift, with the TBs wound up, 100-150kgs EFS springs in the back, But since having them installed ive been working in constriction and carry 2 big tool boxes full on the back, the springs still have a curve in them.

Should i get a new steering box or look at beefing up the leafs in the back? would rear suspension affect steering that much?

Thanks
falz

Re: Steering issue

Postby Quinny34 on Tue, 29 Mar 2011 2:04 +0000

would rear suspension affect steering that much?

It can.... the current model lux feels as described when the back is lower than the front....
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Steering issue

Postby bansheebuzz on Tue, 29 Mar 2011 4:31 +0000

Because you have raised your suspension, the is prob not enough castor in the wheel alignment and you prob can't get enough as the adjustments for camber/castor has limitations.
05 SR5 Xtra Cab D4D
Mudgeeraba Auto Electrical
bansheebuzz

Return to Drive Train Components