Rear Locker

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Rear Locker

Postby Onewheel on Tue, 22 Mar 2011 2:26 +0000

Hi guys, does anyone know if it is possible to get a factory rear e-locker out of a surf and put it in the back of a 2004 toyota hilux? If it is possible then where would you reccomend getting it from? Anywho does anyone know if the ratios match up? i'm not running overly large tyres(only 31s) so would the ratios match?

Any help would be appreciated

Onewheel. :?:
Onewheel

Re: Rear Locker

Postby eMOJO on Wed, 23 Mar 2011 7:35 +0000

If the locker is the same as the US e-lockers then you will need to replace the complete third member which should bolt straight up to your housing. As for ratios you will have to confirm the the ratios of both vehicles by way of the trans axle code stamped on one of the tags in your engine bay fire wall - ratios vary in the same year models based on tranny and engine types.

If the ratios do not match then it's more than likely that your ring + pinion can be used in the surf third.

As an example my KZN165 2004 hilux runs 3.73 diff gears standard and I plucked an ARB locker out of a surf which was running 4.3 diff gears standard so I just put the ARB centre with my ring gear into my third member so it was a straight bolt up.
I suffer from UAD...
Uncontrolable Awesomeness D!sorder

4ROCs Offroad + Adventure :: EPS Photography
eMOJO

Return to Drive Train Components