ticking noise-03 hilux 5LE

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

ticking noise-03 hilux 5LE

Postby kezzajohnson on Thu, 06 Jan 2011 11:23 +0000

Hi guys, I am only new here and am enjoying the site.
I have a question about my 03 Hilux diesel which has the 5LE engine. Before I purchased it, I test drove a couple of others of identical model that seemed to have a common ticking/flutterring type noise coming from the engine bay, more noticeable with windows up and a/c on. The one I bought didn't have this noise and was quite quiet. Mine has now developed the same noise. I have 165,000k on clock and it has had all services including t-belt at 150,000kms as recommended. It has done a few creek crossings 400 to 500 mm deep in last 12 months and I think that the noise may have developed since then. My missus was following me on my motorbike, so I wasn't in the vehicle to notice any sudden change after the last one.
I have the feeling it may be a cracked manifold or similar as it is a sucking or blowing air type noise. There is nothing obvious to see, there is no noticeable power difference, although it's less noisy when easy on the throttle. I was wondering if anyone here might have some ideas, seeing as this may be a common problem and where to start. I was just going to let it go, but it's starting to give me the shits.
Cheers
kezzajohnson

Re: ticking noise-03 hilux 5LE

Postby scar on Wed, 11 May 2011 6:16 +0000

Hi Kezza,
I have a 2001 5LE with the same problem, I got stuck in a puddle that flooded my cab and ever since I have had the same noise, Have done everything I can to try and locate the noise but no good. No performance loss however my noise goes away with the clutch in.

Have you had any luck solving your problem?

Cheers
Brendon
scar

Postby kezzajohnson on Sun, 30 Dec 2012 6:09 +0000

No still there.
kezzajohnson

Postby boyscout on Sun, 30 Dec 2012 3:22 +0000

kezza
I have a 2003 that makes the same noise except when I put the clutch in as well it then goes as well mine only has 86000 klms on it
boyscout

Postby 5C0ULL3R on Wed, 02 Jan 2013 10:13 +0000

This may sound really simple, but check your front rubber mud flaps (above the wishbones). The flap on the last clip had torn and it flapped around in the wind. I could usually hear it about 60kph and above. The bloody thing was flapping against the steel bracket it was meant to be clipped to (which kinda sounds like ticking). I figured this out after 3 long years.
5C0ULL3R

Postby John1986 on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 4:47 +0000

Hi, I've asked various diesel mechanics the same question. The noise is inherent in this particular motor, combination of shim noise (tappets) and the way the injectors spray pattern of diesel spray. This can be caused from dirty or worn injectors and also the shims in this motor wear loose over time causing the noise to increase and can effect power. I had this noise before I had my motor professionally rebuilt and diagnoses was the same from 3 separate diesel places. Once rebuilt the noise has lessened and motor over all is much quieter, I have now a 2 1/2 exhaust and extractors then a week later fitted with a chip it installed. The noise has gone altogether (believe the chip it changes or atomises the diesel spray changing the noise of the combustion) diesel knock noise deteriorates, so was happy with the quieter motor and have been impressed by the chip it chip performance (acceleration and torque - can hold speed on hills now without changing down) and will be turning the tune up over the weekend as it still is on the factory setting. All in all it has been a costly excercise especially the rebuild but been worth it.

Hope this helps with your problems if it is the same noise we are talking about. Hopefully the shims need adjusting or replacing cause it's a lot cheaper than injectors. Or maybe it is that clip

Cheers
John1986

Return to Drive Train Components