2003 single cab tailshaft orientation

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

2003 single cab tailshaft orientation

Postby Hazzar10 on Mon, 14 Jun 2021 1:01 +0000

Hey all, I've gotten myself a 2003 single cab about 4 months ago, I've had to get my clutch and flywheel replaced last week at the same time getting my tailshaft repaired, I've now suddenly come into the issue of my rear diff seal connecting to the tailshaft is now leaking major oil, I was thinking if the tailshaft was put the wrong way round would that cause this type of issue? And what is the correct way for the tailshaft to go round?
Hazzar10

Re: 2003 single cab tailshaft orientation

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 14 Jun 2021 5:56 +0000

The tailshaft goes so that the female piece of the sliding spline is on the "FRONT" section of the tailshaft. Thus of course the male piece is connected to the diff. This is of course for 2WD and the REAR shaft of 4WD vehicles. Being installed the wrong way around should not cause the diff seal to leak, however if the sliding spline is stiff and NOT sliding freely then the Diff seal can be damaged. This "Not sliding freely" is usually caused when too much grease is pumped into the sliding spline and with no movement the whole tail shaft then acts like a hammer on the diff seal.
Rob_Wood

Return to Drive Train Components