Think it should be covered under mechanics warranty?

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Think it should be covered under mechanics warranty?

Postby monoman2004 on Mon, 31 Aug 2015 4:38 +0000

Hey guys been a member for a while but never posted. This site is great helped out with a lot of stuff. I have a single cab 2011 diesel hilux auto. My transmission 11months ago had the error code p047 come on and had to spend 4 grand getting the tranny fixed up. I installed an after market transmission cooler, installed inline with the standard radiator to try and keep the temp down as i was told by the mechanic and heaps of threads on this forum that that's what would of cause the failure. It's now 11 months later and as I was driving down the freeway on Saturday I had the check engine light come on and the same error code came up. It seems to be affecting first gear this time as it shudders at take off once I have been driving for a fair while (previously it affected third gear). The oil was slightly burnt but no were near as bad as last time. I had it towed into the mechanics that fixed it last time and they said that the main radiator was blocked stopping the oil from flowing properly and when they were driving it around today it was running at about 110 deg. However since I have cleared the codes it hasn't come back. They are just going to run the hoses to the aftermarket cooler and are doing a transmission oil flush tomorrow morning. I'm a little skeptical about wether that will fix the issue and they seem to imply that they wouldn't cover the work if there is a problem with the transmission again. The warranty on the job is 20,000km/12 months Australia wide. My thought process is that the original reason why the transmission failed the first time was due to the blockage in the transmission radiator and therefor they didn't fix the entire problem originally. It is almost due (by their service sticker) for a transmission service (within a month). What do you guys reakon? I can't argue too badly with them as I am a glazier and my company does their work. Any advice either way would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nick
monoman2004

Re: Think it should be covered under mechanics warranty?

Postby fourby4diesel on Mon, 31 Aug 2015 5:07 +0000

I think you are right.
These trans are pretty good. Unusual problem especially at early time.
Hard to blame them as who was to know the standard oil cooler is faulty from the start (my guess)
It's good that they found it this time. Trans is probably cooked again.
They could offer you a deal of pay for parts only? A good will gesture.
I mean they should take some responsibility, but It's not the usual stuff ups if you know what I mean.
New DENSO Injectors are the go! New genuine parts.
Cheers, Anth - Technician - 1KD-FTV

Check your injectors about every 10,000k.
WARNING check oil pickup screen is clear
no chips no tune ups - why increase risk of piston cracking?
fourby4diesel

Postby Blackdelux on Mon, 31 Aug 2015 5:38 +0000

i had my tranny cook on last trip
was due to blockage in radiator cooler
i run two coolers but not thru radiator
tranny place couldnt un block it
Blackdelux

Postby monoman2004 on Sat, 12 Sep 2015 11:17 +0000

Ok I picked my car up yesterday afternoon from the mechanics. We made a deal that he would repair the transmission under warranty but I had to buy a new radiator. I thought it was fair enough so it cost me $700ish to have it repaired. I live in Newcastle and I have just driven to sydney and back today for work. Currently having lunch at the twin servos on the f1. I noticed that I have to move the gear selector (probably not what it's called) half a step forward to get it into the right gear. Obviously not right but I can't take it to them until Monday. The issue I have is that me and a mate are heading down to the Wattagons to camp the night tonight and then go for a 4wd tomorrow. Do you guys think it's something not to worry about until Monday or should I call the thing off. I'm thinking it's not too big of an issue as everything is running perfect while driving. Something is just out on the gear lever I think.
monoman2004

Postby monoman2004 on Sat, 12 Sep 2015 11:18 +0000

Thanks as well for the previous advise too!!
monoman2004

Postby Talktheroo on Sun, 13 Sep 2015 8:41 +0000

Chock a block radiators, as well, Anth.
These autos need to be serviced every 50,000 kms.
I use Penrite FS.
Some of them are that dirty, you have to take off the pan and try and clean them out.
You could be happy in a make believe world and not service the auto, but this will surely happen.
It's like the 750 boxes are sealed, and someone sent my soul to sleep.
These problems are not fun, and when are we going to make it work.
Advise.
The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Return to Drive Train Components