electronic kit to prevent over run on an automatic gearbox.(

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

electronic kit to prevent over run on an automatic gearbox.(

Postby Blackbob on Fri, 02 May 2014 3:56 +0000

Has anyone fitted an electronic kit which locks up the torque converter (fluid coupling) on an automatic gearbox preventing slippage and picking up speed going down hills. These are great for four wheel driving down greasy rutted hills as the vehicle doesn't pick up speed,and also towing through mountains. They prevent torque converter slippage(locks them up) and hence keep the gearbox oil cool as well. Please comment if they work well.
Thanks
Blackbob
Blackbob

Re: electronic kit to prevent over run on an automatic gearb

Postby aandy on Fri, 02 May 2014 4:05 +0000

A few people here have fitted them.

The hilux torque converter does already lock in certain conditions, low range going slow down a hill in 1st is one of them. It is a tall first gear so it doesn't work that well but I don't think a lock up kit would change a thing.

I can see an advantage maybe on the highway but have never used one. I travel to and from work in a 80 zone and it is usually locked the whole way once up to speed.

used properly I understand it would be a huge help with ATF temp.
aandy

Re: electronic kit to prevent over run on an automatic gearb

Postby Sinan on Fri, 02 May 2014 4:29 +0000

Mate I had one installed on my old Hilux for a couple years. It does have it's pros and cons. From memory it won't lock in 1st or maybe I just couldn't tell. So for off roading I can't picture it being great. Although I use to use it on boggy sand a lot. Put it in 3rd and lock the torque converter. Plough straight through any sand. Long hills on freeway was also good. 3rd gear locked and just soldier up any hill.

Now the cons are it will raise exhaust gas temperatures a lot because there is less flow through the exhaust with lower rpms. A gauge will help with keeping them under control. Not used properly it will cause drivetrain issues aswell
cheers
Simon
Sinan

Return to Drive Train Components