Electronic rust protection(of just a flashing light?)

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Electronic rust protection(of just a flashing light?)

Postby tarcher79 on Mon, 07 Oct 2013 7:48 +0000

Had Electronic rust protection fitted to my new Hilux last year from Tint A Car,(18 months ago)
Noticed some rust on bash plate and on closer inspection the paint was peeling of as it was rusting under the paint.
Took it back and the bloke told me that it does not protect things like that only protects the body panels and chassis but not the steel connected to it??????
(bit different to what he told me when I was looking to buy it!!!)
He said it has rusted because it was not prepared/undercoated properly.
Apparently these only work if the panel has been prepared and painted correctly(to prevent rust so you really do not need rust protection here anyway)
any way sounded like i brought a small plastic box with a few flashing lights and not actually rust protection.
When purchased was told it will have lifetime warranty against rust but when I read warranty after purchase it says the unit must be checked by them every year($$??) 5 year + 5 year warranty (fee payable after inspection at 5 year)
And limit is $3000 for repair.
You might not agree with me but I will not be buying one of these again,
tarcher79

Re: Electronic rust protection(of just a flashing light?)

Postby ashh on Mon, 07 Oct 2013 8:13 +0000

Lived up on burleigh point (gold coast) directly opposite the breaking surf, cars parked 100m from salt water and with a north easterly (most common direction) sea breeze, cars were constantly covered in a layer of salt spray. We had two cars, one car fitted with an ERP system, the other didn't.
Over those 3 years, both cars rusted just as bad as each other, there was no noticeable difference between them at all, even the ERP unit itself started to corrode...
ashh

Postby benlux10 on Mon, 07 Oct 2013 8:44 +0000

Half the time you remove the screw from the unit and there's rust around it. Car yards love them huge money maker.
benlux10

Postby cizzink11 on Mon, 07 Oct 2013 8:47 +0000

My car has 4 of those anoid? Blocks installed under the vehicle like they use on alloy boats and bridges..

Will it work? Maybe I have no rust on a 8 year old hilux but I dont go down the beach often enough lol
cizzink11

Postby RonBacardi8 on Mon, 07 Oct 2013 10:04 +0000

I asked about them at the Toyota dealer just 6 weeks ago before picking the cruiser up. They told me that they wont guarantee the unit if I went beach driving or submersed the vehicle in a river crossing, what does that say about it :lol: :lol: and yes they still asked if I wanted one after they told me that...
RonBacardi8

Postby TAR on Tue, 08 Oct 2013 1:24 +0000

I got mine as a pack from them heavy duty electronic and some spray on stuff told me I was 100% covered from any rust
TAR

Postby StevenS on Tue, 08 Oct 2013 4:02 +0000

These units work better on boats that are permanently submerged in salt water. On a car that goes through wet/dry cycles and mostly exposed to air they're pretty much a gimmick at least as far as the science is concerned but you will not doubt find some fellas claim nostalgically that they work as their Hilux hasn't rusted after so many years and they happen to have such a unit fitted.

In my opinion, if you're going to fit one you might as well fit a Polariser to align the vehicles molecules and make it go faster :lol:
StevenS

Postby boxhead55 on Tue, 08 Oct 2013 4:17 +0000

StevenS wrote:These units work better on boats that are permanently submerged in salt water. On a car that goes through wet/dry cycles and mostly exposed to air they're pretty much a gimmick at least as far as the science is concerned but you will not doubt find some fellas claim nostalgically that they work as their Hilux hasn't rusted after so many years and they happen to have such a unit fitted.

In my opinion, if you're going to fit one you might as well fit a Polariser to align the vehicles molecules and make it go faster :lol:

X2 on that Steve

This is a good read
http://corrosion-doctors.org/Car/car-el ... c-rust.htm

I don't like them stupidly some lease company's insist on them being fitted.
boxhead55

Postby tarcher79 on Wed, 09 Oct 2013 4:33 +0000

looks like every one has the same idea about these,
pisses me off that they can still sell these things and clam that they stop rust!!
tarcher79

Postby Qwerty on Wed, 09 Oct 2013 4:37 +0000

They work as well as thes e;

Qwerty

Postby boxhead55 on Wed, 09 Oct 2013 4:40 +0000

What the hell is that
boxhead55

Postby Qwerty on Wed, 09 Oct 2013 4:47 +0000

boxhead55 wrote:What the hell is that

It's a "powerband"

a shitty piece of plastic with a holographic sticker, sold to gullible suckers for stupid prices, claiming ;

To "use holographic technology" to "resonate with and respond to the natural energy field of the body", and increase sporting ability by improving the user's balance, strength and flexibility;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Balance
Qwerty

Postby qldminer on Wed, 09 Oct 2013 6:43 +0000

how do you rate the spray on rust protection?, looks like black tar sprayed all over the chassis and left to dry?.
qldminer

Postby rysermon on Wed, 09 Oct 2013 6:46 +0000

my jeep wrangler i used to have came with it... it hadd rust on it small obviously in random areas... i dont believe in it being too effective. i give mine a good solid clean and degrease in the engine bay and underneith, then coat it in lanox i think it is or inox , works better than fish oil cause it doesnt leave a residue and go all sticky and from what i seen does a good job is being a water dispersant .. usually give it a spray in black paint once a year when eveyrthing becomes faded and stained or if i get a scratch or something and its a potential rust spot.... seems to work alright for now, you can only do so much
"Lifes Simple, You make choices and you dont look back"
08 (09facelift) Hilux SR D4D - Daily and adventure vehicle
99 Silvia S15 Spec r - Sunday driver
rysermon

Postby Skog07 on Wed, 09 Oct 2013 6:46 +0000

qldminer wrote:how do you rate the spray on rust protection?, looks like black tar sprayed all over the chassis and left to dry?.

I made that mistake... It was ok but I foolishly watched a 4wd action video where they sprayed Lanolin spray underneath the car and thought that was a good idea. It made the tar go soft and it picked up all the dirt and crap and looks brown and terrible now..
Skog07

Postby qldminer on Thu, 10 Oct 2013 5:52 +0000

oo, good point, I was contemplating doing that in some missed areas. but ill defiantly not do it now!
qldminer

Postby jaybags on Sat, 23 Nov 2013 2:50 +0000

I was just about to post a new topic but found this.

I was looking through the car to find all the breathers (just got my diff breather kit, so trying to work out where the heck I need to connect it all to), and what I had originally thought was just an immobiliser mounted to the firewall was actually a device called "RustStopper" by MotorOne, "Computerised electronic corrosion inhibitor".

What the? I take it the owner before me had it installed, as I don't recall anyone ever mentioning anything about it coming standard. I'm assuming from the comments put here, it does shit all right? Can put a pic of it up soon.
Cheers,
Jay

My (super slow) build - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=20120
jaybags

Postby Blackbob on Fri, 02 May 2014 3:35 +0000

Some electronic rust prevention systems only have one connection point which is located on the opposite side of the firewall to the battery. ARB supplied units have SIX mounting points spread all around the body. I have had one fitted for more than five years now and have NO sign of rust. Has been on Stockton beach several times, covered in all sorts of mud etc. while travelling around Australia, without being washed for six weeks or more (in some places.) I am happy with mine, AND they are MUCH cheaper than the ones fitted by Toyota dealers.
Blackbob
Blackbob

Postby anthony kemp on Fri, 02 May 2014 4:52 +0000

these things make me laugh. they prevent rust by running electricity through the frame.... isnt that what the rest of the electrical system does in earth the chassis setup :roll:
anthony kemp

Postby StevenS on Fri, 02 May 2014 5:16 +0000

Blackbob wrote:Some electronic rust prevention systems only have one connection point which is located on the opposite side of the firewall to the battery. ARB supplied units have SIX mounting points spread all around the body. I have had one fitted for more than five years now and have NO sign of rust. Has been on Stockton beach several times, covered in all sorts of mud etc. while travelling around Australia, without being washed for six weeks or more (in some places.) I am happy with mine, AND they are MUCH cheaper than the ones fitted by Toyota dealers.
Blackbob

Correlation does not imply causation.
StevenS

Next

Return to Drive Train Components