04 4wd wont engage

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

04 4wd wont engage

Postby enotoy on Thu, 05 Sep 2013 3:38 +0000

I suddenly discovered that my 4wd would not engage. The car has just been to the shop for a full clean after my neighbor decided to paint her carport where my car was parked without telling me so I could move it away.. :/ They also cleaned the engine, don`t know if it is relevant.. but anyway. I have not heard any strange noises or nothing. Just stopped working. Have tried to figure out what can be wrong, and since my local toyota dealer have never heard of this problem with a 04 mod. with only 90`km on the odo, I`m hoping someone here can help me. Is it the front hubs? the vacuum system? would really like some good advice on this one. where/how do I eliminate and search. My indicator lamp for the 4wd is also dead.. but that´s been like that for a long time with 4wd still working..
enotoy

Re: 04 4wd wont engage

Postby fgk228 on Thu, 05 Sep 2013 3:53 +0000

assuming it is the sr5??? Most likly is the vacuum system.
Jump under your truck while the leaver isin 4wd and try to turn the front drive shaft. if it can't move its hub related and most likely the vacuum system which is a common problem.
fgk228

Postby mattwhite on Thu, 05 Sep 2013 6:24 +0000

In an sr5 the 4wd is a button. I'd jack the front, put it in 4wd with the key on and see if the propshaft turns the wheels. If it does the problem is the electric motor on the transfer. I've seen water wreck a few of them. Easily fixed by cleaning some contacts. If the propshaft doesn't turn the wheels fgk is on the money.
Any questions just ask.
mattwhite

Postby enotoy on Fri, 06 Sep 2013 4:45 +0000

fgk228 wrote:assuming it is the sr5??? Most likly is the vacuum system.
Jump under your truck while the leaver isin 4wd and try to turn the front drive shaft. if it can't move its hub related and most likely the vacuum system which is a common problem.

Correct, it`s the sr5 with a seperate stick to engage 4wd hi/lo. I also suspect the vacuum system. Lately I´ve heard a kind of "hissing" noise, similar to the turbo sound when rpm goes down, when I`m slowing down to full stop. Wonder if it could be a leak or something. need to test the vacuum somehow. Suspected the hubs at first, but I would guess some kind of ugly noise would indicate it if that´s the problem. The front axel locks up fine when put in 4wd by the way. Yesterday I found a broken connector on the left side of the car, on the inside of the steel frame by the lower part of the engine. This seemes to be connected to the plug/sensor in the front of the diff. Any ideas here? Any good idea how to control the solenoids? And I also wonder how the solenoids get the signal from the transmission that the 4wd is engaged.
enotoy

Postby enotoy on Tue, 10 Sep 2013 2:49 +0000

Found the fault :D one of the vsv valves is broken, changed the vacuum-tubes reverse to fool the system, and everything was up and running. Also fixed the broken connector, and found that it fixed my missing 4wd indicator in dash :mrgreen: Strange that the tube-swap made the 4wd work as normal, connecting and disconnecting without the other vsv. Any ideas on this? Will change the vsv and leave it as it was anyway, just in case.
enotoy

Postby csale on Sun, 27 Oct 2013 9:50 +0000

Glad you found the cause soon enough and got it working.
cheers!
how about some pics of your rig!?
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=9919
csale

Return to Drive Train Components