auto hubs in a 2008 sr

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

auto hubs in a 2008 sr

Postby rysermon on Tue, 04 Jun 2013 7:09 +0000

hey guys again

sorry for the two topics i am stumped though, from what i know and have searched on the net im under the assumption that when the car isnt in 4x4 and is in rear drive 2h the front wheels should be automatically unlocked at the hubs yes?

would this mean that if i jacked my front end up and spun a front wheel they wouldnt spin the prop shaft/drive shaft that goes from the transfer case to the front diff?

since i have owned my car it has always spun the prop shaft when its driven in 2h or on a hoist and physically turned the front tire.

im not sure if my auto hubs are stuffed or if this is totally normal ?
"Lifes Simple, You make choices and you dont look back"
08 (09facelift) Hilux SR D4D - Daily and adventure vehicle
99 Silvia S15 Spec r - Sunday driver
rysermon

Re: auto hubs in a 2008 sr

Postby andy666 on Tue, 04 Jun 2013 7:25 +0000

It's pretty simple really. The new hilux doesn't have auto hubs, it has constantly engaged hubs.
666 High Idle Kits to suit 05+ hilux Available Here
My Build Thread.
andy666

Postby SRD4D on Tue, 04 Jun 2013 7:28 +0000

rysermon wrote:hey guys again

sorry for the two topics i am stumped though, from what i know and have searched on the net im under the assumption that when the car isnt in 4x4 and is in rear drive 2h the front wheels should be automatically unlocked at the hubs yes?

would this mean that if i jacked my front end up and spun a front wheel they wouldnt spin the prop shaft/drive shaft that goes from the transfer case to the front diff?

since i have owned my car it has always spun the prop shaft when its driven in 2h or on a hoist and physically turned the front tire.

No its unlocked via the transfer case only ,the front axles, diff and front drive shaft all turn whilst the wheels are in contact with the road(but are not driven by the engine) back to the transfer case where you disengage the front from drive 2H.

Auto hubs,or manual hubs are not available for the SR hilux as yet,but plenty of us want them for 2wd low range and or apparent better fuel economy and less wear on the front diff and drive shafts.
the alternative to this is fit SR5 front ADD diff tubes to get this.
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby rysermon on Tue, 04 Jun 2013 8:15 +0000

SRD4D wrote:
rysermon wrote:hey guys again

No its unlocked via the transfer case only ,the front axles, diff and front drive shaft all turn whilst the wheels are in contact with the road(but are not driven by the engine) back to the transfer case where you disengage the front from drive 2H.

Auto hubs,or manual hubs are not available for the SR hilux as yet,but plenty of us want them for 2wd low range and or apparent better fuel economy and less wear on the front diff and drive shafts.
the alternative to this is fit SR5 front ADD diff tubes to get this.

thanks heaps dude, just couldnt find what i was looking for on google, least thats one thing ruled out on my list of things to investigate >< if i had manual hubs i could keep driving my car till its booked in to get fixed :\
"Lifes Simple, You make choices and you dont look back"
08 (09facelift) Hilux SR D4D - Daily and adventure vehicle
99 Silvia S15 Spec r - Sunday driver
rysermon

Return to Drive Train Components