Engine braking noise

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Engine braking noise

Postby Sleepn on Sun, 21 Apr 2013 7:56 +0000

So I have this stage noise that seems to have developed in my ute, wondering if anyone might be able to give some ideas...

When im downshifting into either 3rd or 2nd mainly, as this seems to be the most resistance on the engine braking, just since yesterday morning the ute seems to have decided to make this sort of grinding noise up the rear..

It happens only when using a pretty strong amount of engine braking, so letting the clutch out reasonably fast, it only lasts for a second or two, and doesn't happen once its properly in gear and decelerating, just that initial slow down. If I let the clutch out slowly and let it just gently slow down then it doesn't make the noise, I didn't do anything stupid when it started yesterday..

Its a 07 hilux double cab, low km's... got me beat at the moment as to what it could be, back pressure on the diff gears? I haven't checked the oil in the diff, doesn't have any leaks though.

Cheers
Sleepn

Re: Engine braking noise

Postby mitch_893 on Sun, 21 Apr 2013 12:29 +0000

Your most likely getting compression lock up on the back wheels. Have u got your foot on the brake slightly at the same time? And have got abs?
06' D4D dual cab SR
Build thread

Cheers!
mitch_893

Re: Engine braking noise

Postby mitch_893 on Sun, 21 Apr 2013 12:30 +0000

Just seen your double post...
06' D4D dual cab SR
Build thread

Cheers!
mitch_893

Return to Drive Train Components