A Grate Vibration

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

A Grate Vibration

Postby JBlacka on Sun, 26 Aug 2012 1:45 +0000

Ok, so I have had this problem ever sence I got the car, but it used to come and go and would only do it once in a blue moon, then last 4wd trip the diff droped down as a bolt had come loose, and then my troubles started,

managed to boggy the car up enough to get her home, then fixed her properly with a new bolt and tightened up the rest,

Sence then I have had this annoy vibration comming from both sides of my car, it seems to be comming from the birfields, there is a little movement in the cvs when the car is stopped 2-4mm,

So i did the obvious and replaced the cvs with brand newies, and still same problem, although it went away for a day 1st,
So i swapped them from side to side, and same problem was there,

removed the front driveshaft and issue was still there,

The car is a 1994 Toyota Surf it has the A D D system in it,

And has a 2inch suspension lift, so nothing major.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

James
Truckless no more

93 4runner
Sas
33s going to 35s
Twin locked
Reduction gears in transfer case
4.88 diffs
1uz
Soon to have blower on it as well hopefully. :)
JBlacka

Re: A Grate Vibration

Postby JBlacka on Sat, 01 Sep 2012 2:33 +0000

Ok so got cover the week and had a good look around and thought maybe a little grease is all that it needs,
After trying for a few hrs I gave up and made a little tool to screw onto the spindle but with a grease nipple on it and away I went, as it turns out I was bang on the money and it as almost gotten rid of the noise and vibration,
This is just a temporary fix until I can replace the bushings, but I am going to add greasing these spindles into my Maintenence routine, it's not really hard to do just pull the wheel of and a spindle but the cv washer thingo pull the cv towards the diff a little, screw this tool on and pump until the greae comes through the other end.
Truckless no more

93 4runner
Sas
33s going to 35s
Twin locked
Reduction gears in transfer case
4.88 diffs
1uz
Soon to have blower on it as well hopefully. :)
JBlacka

Re: A Grate Vibration

Postby kyle300exc on Sun, 02 Sep 2012 5:01 +0000

Your an ideas man James,
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Return to Drive Train Components