Any one converted manual to auto?

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Any one converted manual to auto?

Postby mick08 on Wed, 05 Oct 2011 6:05 +0000

Really want an auto hilux I have a 2008 and as we all have iv spent a he'll of a lot of money on it. So it's just not feasible to sell and buy again.
Has anyone converted one? I have a wrecker that has everything for me eg box ecu crossmember harness and consol out of a 10,000km car for about $4000.
I just want to know if someone has done it did they have any problems with the immobilizer? Is the immoblilzer part of the ECU or is it a separate unit as I need to change the ECU with the new box..
mick08

Re: Any one converted manual to auto?

Postby Skog07 on Wed, 05 Oct 2011 10:13 +0000

I do have to ask the question.....
It may have been done before on the site. im not sure..
Why change something that works perfectly, for something that might work alright and cost you $4000 and alot of headaches in trying to get it to work, will probably ruin the resale value of the vehicle in the long run...
The diff ratios will be out if you swap over to an auto trans anyway... Which is another $3000 to fix and will rob the vehicle of low range crawlabilty on downhill decents.. The diff ratios vary between the manual and the auto..
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Re: Any one converted manual to auto?

Postby cambelt on Sat, 31 Dec 2011 10:08 +0000

I have done it , and can say its not worth doing , Its not just the auto bits . You have to change the complete ( inc dash harness) loom , cluster engine ecu , auto ecu , imob ecu , new keys, eng loom , rad , diff ratios.
Just keep the manual .
The only upside is you get cruise control inputs to the ecu .
Dave
cambelt

Return to Drive Train Components