Relays, fuses and Effin! foglights!

Relays, fuses and Effin! foglights!

Postby Transdog on Sat, 09 Apr 2011 3:37 +0000

Hi,
I've been trying to wire up the fog lights on our 2011 dual cab SR KUN16R, ( first ever brand new car). The wiring is already installed from the factory for the lights, there is also a fuse, marked "fog", installed, but the problem is I can't identify the relay, if it does in fact exist, nor can I find anything remotely like instructions on how to fit a switch to the wiring under the dash, on a Hilux with the foglights prewired.
I've been trying to follow the Toyota installation instructions that I found on the web but it's marked for the model year 08/2008 vehicle code KUN*5*-*R***W, the pictograph type instructions that look idiot proof till an idiot like me tries to follow them. I've tried to use the "Hilux D4D Service and Wiring Manuals" CD, still no closer to an answer.
Of course I've not got an original Toyota switch harness, as I got the lights and wiring from ebay and maybe I should connect it using those, barely adequate, instructions, but the bloody thing has the connections right there. It's now a battle of wits (maybe that should be battle of halfwits) between me and a car that I want to love.
For days now I've been staring into the engine bay or lying under the dash staring up, getting a crook back, between that, I've searched every site, forum and retail site that google throws up, with every combination of words that I can think of .
Please, somebody, anybody, how do you wire the on/off switch to foglights that have the connections on the lamps prewired ?
With all due respect to the moderators please don't suggest using the search function, even using the advanced google option suggested in the "sticky" has turned out to be worse than useless with this one, it's been one dead end after another.
Someone, please, have pity.
Regards
Gary
Transdog

Re: Relays, fuses and Effin! foglights!

Postby BAT091 on Sat, 09 Apr 2011 4:45 +0000

Mate from my experience of fitting fog lights to vehicles that dont originally come out standard with them they will yes have a fuse or spot for a fuse and a spot for the relay but no relay.. they usually dont have the wiring under the dash for the switch or if they do its in some rediculous spot... you could be there for hours tracing wires from harness at front plugs back to relay and then back into cab... its just as quick to put in the harness and switch supplied with the kit and they are usually pretty good quality and switches look standard... other choice to maybe obtain a wiring diagram and i believe a couple of the boys on here have them handy... hope this will clear some things up for you and happy to answer more questions..
Cheers Kirk

BAT091 LUX BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10014
BAT091

Postby Transdog on Sat, 09 Apr 2011 7:56 +0000

Thanks Kirk
after I posted my whimge I realised I was being a wa#%er, you are quite right the harness I got with the the lights really isn't that bad, I think I was annoyed at spending all that time trying to nut it out , so many hours wasted searching on the net and not being able to find anything that made sense of what I thought should be pretty simple. Bloody pride and perfectionism, It's painfull being a middle aged child.
I even posted in the wrong part of the forum.
I tired now, I might go for a wee lie down.
Cheers
Gary
Transdog

Postby wyworrie on Sat, 09 Apr 2011 8:12 +0000

Hi Gary, I might be wrong, but I think when the toyota lights are fitted, they come with a small piece of loom which includes the relay and mounting bracket. This is fitted on left side of engine bay behind the battery and fuses. I had to shift mine to fit aux battery.
Hope this helps
wyworrie

Postby Kurt on Thu, 14 Apr 2011 2:20 +0000

Can you tell me if the fog lights for up to an 08 hilux will fit the current model, or do you have to get lights to suit late 09 and onwards? I feel your pain, with spot lights, and a rear tray light already I'm looking at putting in fog lights. That'd make 3 different, non genuine looking switches, I'd like to have a nice looking switch to put in the dash and have an engine bay free from other add on wires too, but it isn't going to happen.
Cheers.
Kurt

Postby danmcccc on Thu, 14 Apr 2011 4:21 +0000

welcome to owning a 4wd and being a member of a forum...your always going to want every mod you read about and not many of them can be made factory looking
:D :D :D :D
old enough to know better...young enough to not give a f**k

MY KILLER BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?t=9235
danmcccc

Postby weeman on Wed, 28 Sep 2011 6:40 +0000

on the fog lights does anyone know what the globe is in the factory fog for the 2011 hilux SR5
weeman

Return to Electrical