hotwiring the old beast

hotwiring the old beast

Postby Toki on Fri, 04 Jun 2010 11:19 +0000

i have a 1990 hilux 2wd, 22r engine, no one knows where the keys have gone and the barrels wrecked, just wondering if anyone knows how to hot wire it and break the steering lock, just need it for around the property so it doesn't matter if i wreck anything or its rough as guts, just need her to start
Toki

Re: hotwiring the old beast

Postby matty87 on Mon, 07 Jun 2010 3:28 +0000

mate just wing it. dismantel the stearing column and you should be able to get tho the barrel and all the shit behind the plactic bits if you take the barrel out of the loop the stearing lock will be removed as it just a mechanical lock and then you will have a number of wires to the barrel i think it 4 or five or six (cant remember now). two of these are for the starter the others are for the other positions on the barrel the acc position and the position the key is in when the car is running call it acc2.

i havent done it on a lux but i garenty the principal is the same as a sierra and an gq patrol that i have done.

all i did was stuck a two switches and a button for the starter motor circuit. easy as.

i think i broke the barrels with a screw driver when i was doing it too as i got frustrated with fidelling and just wanted em apart.
a glorious lack of sophistication
matty87

Re: hotwiring the old beast

Postby bansheebuzz on Mon, 07 Jun 2010 3:37 +0000

do as matty said and remove the assembly from the column, remove the ignition switch from the back of the lock assembly and it can be turned with a screwdriver
05 SR5 Xtra Cab D4D
Mudgeeraba Auto Electrical
bansheebuzz

Return to Electrical