Ctek DC-DC charger problems

Ctek DC-DC charger problems

Postby knight on Sun, 13 Aug 2017 9:42 +0000

Does anyone know much about Cteks DC-dc dual250s chargers?

Mine runs fine and does everything its meant to do, until I plug a solar panel into it. Once a solar panel is plugged in, it seems to no longer isolate from my start battery and sucks voltage out of the main battery. My second battery is still fully charged from the solar panel, just my main battery is dead.

Anyone have any ideas before I bin the whole thing?
2012 Hilux Extra cab, 1996 Aussie Swag Camper.
knight

Re: Ctek DC-DC charger problems

Postby StuC3 on Wed, 16 Aug 2017 11:22 +0000

Have your solar panels got regulators built in. If so the CTEK will not operate on solar as it uses its own regulator. I have mine installed with 2 solar panels and a second battery and it works fine.
StuC3

Postby fracturedranga on Wed, 16 Aug 2017 11:41 +0000

Not sure if the ctek is the same but the redarc you need to run the solar input through a changeover relay. So when the engine switches off it charges from the solar and not the cranking battery. If tge solar is wired in parrallel itll think the car is running as its seeing charge in and draw from your main to charge the aux. The solar wont be able to keep up with what the charger is taking out and youll end up with a flat main. Id think you have a setup wiring issue. Draw a picture of how its wired up and post it and we can see if thats the issue. Could also be what stu said as most dc dc chargers need a certain voltage i/p to charge off solar. If your panels have there own regulator the ctek wont see high enough voltage
fracturedranga

Postby knight on Wed, 16 Aug 2017 4:24 +0000

StuC3 wrote:Have your solar panels got regulators built in. If so the CTEK will not operate on solar as it uses its own regulator. I have mine installed with 2 solar panels and a second battery and it works fine.

Nah, the regulator has been removed from the panels, running straight into the ctek. 120watt panels too.

fracturedranga wrote:Not sure if the ctek is the same but the redarc you need to run the solar input through a changeover relay. So when the engine switches off it charges from the solar and not the cranking battery. If tge solar is wired in parrallel itll think the car is running as its seeing charge in and draw from your main to charge the aux. The solar wont be able to keep up with what the charger is taking out and youll end up with a flat main. Id think you have a setup wiring issue. Draw a picture of how its wired up and post it and we can see if thats the issue. Could also be what stu said as most dc dc chargers need a certain voltage i/p to charge off solar. If your panels have there own regulator the ctek wont see high enough voltage

I'll take a photo in the next day or two of how its wired up. The ctek has a seperate input for both the solar and the alternator and is meant to be able to use both independently of each other. Something is amiss though.
knight

Postby knight on Tue, 22 Aug 2017 4:30 +0000

Thats how mine is wired up, which as far as I can tell is correct, going from the instructions. Starting to think it might be faulty.

knight

Postby Richolux150 on Tue, 22 Aug 2017 5:56 +0000

I have the same Ctek unit and same 2012 Hilux, I run directly from the crank a pos and neg and directly from solar panel(without regulator) a pos and neg to the Ctek unit and also run an earth to chassis from the service battery.
I have found no need for change over relays from the alternator.
Cheers Richo
If cat turds were Gold nuggets, I'd be the richest bloke on the block... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richolux150

Postby vincentvega on Wed, 23 Aug 2017 12:10 +0000

what does "second battery negative" mean

the negatives of both batteries need to be tied together. Have you done this?

That redarc diagram is misleading. if you havn't done so already add a solid ground from the CTEK negative terminal to your chassis
vincentvega

Return to Electrical