Hilux d4d Glow Plug issues

Hilux d4d Glow Plug issues

Postby Lochie09 on Sun, 10 Jan 2016 7:30 +0000

Hi Everyone,
i purchased a 2011 SR Workmate 4x4 Hilux 5 months ago from a dealer and had a full $400 mechanical inspection carried out on the car by RAC prior to purchasing which found no problems. As of 2 weeks ago however, when turning the ignition the glow plug light on the dash will not display, however the engine will turnover normally but not fire. After letting it sit for a bit i'll try again and it will work, and then it will stop working again.
I took the issue to my local Toyota dealership last week and they found 0 problems on they're scan tools and sent it back to me saying it could have been the fuel filter which needed replacing at the time.

Yesterday thinking that the problem had been solved, i was sitting in the car with it idling for about 20 minutes and then it randomly turned off, and upon trying to restart it the glow plug symbol was not displaying again after it being fine over the 5 days ive had the car back from Toyota.

Could someone please help me with what the issue with my Lux is/could be? Cheers
Lochie09

Re: Hilux d4d Glow Plug issues

Postby rory18 on Sun, 10 Jan 2016 7:38 +0000

I don't believe glow plugs will be the cause of it not starting. These direct injected engines will start no worries in summer without the aid of glow plugs. Issue could be related to the suction control valve or maybe an air leak in your fuel system.
rory18
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lochie09 on Sun, 10 Jan 2016 7:57 +0000

Okay thanks very much for those possibilities. Ill be sure to discuss them with the Dealership when i take it back.
Could those issues in any way be linked to the glow plug symbol displaying and then sometimes not displaying however? The engine will only not fire when the glow plug light doesnt come on. When it does, it fires as usual. Cheers
Lochie09

Postby kav on Fri, 10 Jun 2016 2:50 +0000

How'd you go with this mate? What ended up being the problem?
kav

Return to Electrical