Auxillary 4wd switch...?

Auxillary 4wd switch...?

Postby t0me on Tue, 01 Sep 2015 10:52 +0000

Hiya, I've just bought a 98 hilux with an engine swap (1UZFE with auto).
The 4wd is currently activated with what looks like a DPDT monentary switch. Its a bit dicky, and there's no LED on it to say its engaged. So I'm looking to replace it.

Its got 3 wires going into it, 2 I'm guessing go straight to a relay somewhere, I've yet to find a buddy to help me trace it but thought I throw it up there in case anyone knows how it needs to be wired or even (for bonus points) how to hook up a lit rocker for it.

Gonna have lots more questions as I start working through the issues with it (as you do) :-)
I didn't find anything searching about the switch, but if there is already a thread on it my apologies and can you link me to it please.

Cheers,
Tom
t0me

Re: Auxillary 4wd switch...?

Postby MikeNZ on Mon, 11 Jan 2016 5:51 +0000

Tom,
If that switch only has 3 wires going to it, then it's more than likely an SPDT (Single pole-Double Throw) switch to simply change over from 2WD to 4WD.
With it being a momentary (non-latching) switch, I'm guessing that it merely provides some sort of a pulse to bring in a
4WD relay.
I think what you need is a schematic diagram for your particular model, this would be your best guide of how the switching of this is actually effected.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
MikeNZ

Return to Electrical