Glow plug button

Glow plug button

Postby Pricenator on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 9:15 +0000

Can some one please share with me an easy way to hook up a glow plug button as my 89 hilux has no wire going to the glow plugs at all and I have no idea where to put it so might be easier wiring in a button...
Pricenator

Re: Glow plug button

Postby Steveyb on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 10:29 +0000

Hey mate, just to clarify you are wanting to be able to have a manual glow plug momentary switch that is separate from your current ignition triggered glow plug circuit?

**edit**

you are going to need a decent size relay or solenoid that will need to switch the main feed to the plug bus bar as there will be quite a bit of current required, i'm guessing in the ball park of about 40amps (just a guess, never actually had anything to do with them personally)

There are a few auto sparkies around these parts that are very clued on with this sort of stuff, i'm sure sooner or later you will get a response

Cheers
Steve
NLC
Steveyb

Postby Pricenator on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 10:47 +0000

Hey thanks for the reply yeas that's what I'm looking at doing as im not sure where the original wire would have ran to.. I got told to run a wire from the plugs to To a switch and from the switch to somewhere like my cigarette socket? Just wanna make sure that I'm going to be doing it the right way as I don't want to stuff anything up and have bigger problems...

Joe
Pricenator

Postby ashy on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 10:59 +0000

I think glow plugs are only about 5 volts or so.

Ashy
ashy

Postby Steveyb on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 1:46 +0000

Pricenator wrote:Hey thanks for the reply yeas that's what I'm looking at doing as im not sure where the original wire would have ran to.. I got told to run a wire from the plugs to To a switch and from the switch to somewhere like my cigarette socket? Just wanna make sure that I'm going to be doing it the right way as I don't want to stuff anything up and have bigger problems...

Joe

NO, you will not be able to run it back to the cig lighter socket!

I just wandered outside and put a clamp meter on my car (2011 SR5) and measured current on ACC which was 1.4A (had a few radios turned on in the cab)
and when glow plugs were energised current was at 47.6A
So minus off a few amps for radios and other stuff such as ECU etc you will have a ball park.

Essentially you WILL need a large relay or solenoid, 80A fuse/breaker and some cable 10mm should do if very short run to and from the solenoid and some 2 -3 mm for your momentary sw to the solenoid.

I can draw you a diagram if you like?

Cheers

Steve
NLC
Steveyb

Postby banksy on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 1:52 +0000

Could be the glow plugs themselves, have you tested them.
banksy

Postby Pricenator on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 5:56 +0000

I went in to a shop today and I brought what he said should do the job but now I'm thinking maybe not after reading that Steve, he said to run 4mm wire from plugs to a relay which has a fuse in it then to my switch then find which wire under steering wheel that only gets power on the on position then connect another wire from that to back of switch, he did draw up a little diagram to show me where wires need to be on relay but I'm not sure on it now as the wire is 4mm and relay is 30 amp... Yeah Banksy glow plugs right it just had no wire hooked up to them so it can't glow
Pricenator

Postby rory18 on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 6:52 +0000

Be very careful and remember not to leave them on for very long or you will end up with bits of glow plug tips bouncing around in the motor.
rory18
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Pricenator on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 7:06 +0000

Yeah will do should only need to glow them for 5 or so seconds right?
Pricenator

Postby Steveyb on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 7:06 +0000

Glow plugs normally range between .2 - 5ohms and normally 11V

So the current could vary wildly depending on what state the 4 plugs are in.

I would say it's going to be considerable, given the fact I obtained a reading of 40 + amps.
NLC
Steveyb

Postby Steveyb on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 7:09 +0000

Pricenator wrote:Yeah will do should only need to glow them for 5 or so seconds right?

First start in tassie maybe!

Often they will be interlocked with engine/water temp and not even energised or just extremely quickly if everything is up to temp
NLC
Steveyb

Postby Pricenator on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 8:10 +0000

Yeah pretty cold of a morning here lately! So u think I should probably get a bigger relay and thicker wire Steve?
Pricenator

Postby Steveyb on Wed, 22 Jul 2015 7:41 +0000

Hey mate,

Personally I would design it to handle a bit of current.
I have attached a diagram I drew with part numbers from Jaycar, sorry it's not great but I'm a bit pre occupied studying for my electrical Capstone exams starting tomorrow so not spent much time researching.

I chose Jaycar parts purely based on that fact that they are everywhere and you can order online, you can get equivalent parts from where ever is convenient to you.

Some more information: Before this topic I had actually thought nothing of Glow Plug circuits and the requirements for them, this is all based on research from Dr Google and experiments with current measurement on my own car.

The diagram states to use a 60A breaker, I would try and use a 50A as apparently according to jaycar their 8AWG is only good for 56A (in practice over a short run it will handle more) but it's ALWAYS good design to ensure your Circuit Breaker is rated lower than the cable in order to protect it. but you get the idea. Jaycar only had a 60, 70 and 100A though.

Other things to note: I am led to understand that a thermostat can be used (existing water temp or add one) in line with the push button so that if everything is already hot the circuit will not work.
once again I am not certain of this as I am not a mechanic and really don't know the exact purpose/principals of the Glow plug except to heat the combustion chamber initially. <<<< Someone with knowledge on this please chime in>>>>>

There are some good auto sparkies on this forum who may well be able to offer extended information as to what I have given you and/or correct what I have given you.

Hope it helps somewhat and good luck

Steve

NLC
Steveyb

Postby Pricenator on Wed, 22 Jul 2015 9:12 +0000

The diagram is great mate and will be a massive help. I'm going to try get in today and have a look for these parts and hopefully After the weekend I'll have a hilux I can start in the mornings without boiling the kettle!
You have been a great help Steve and it's very appreciated thanks heaps! And good luck with your exams.

Joe.
Pricenator

Postby Steveyb on Wed, 22 Jul 2015 4:00 +0000

Cheers mate, we're here to help.
Let us know how you get on or if you have any questions and don't forget to put some split loom or corro on the wires for some mechanical protection.

Best of luck

Cheers
Steve
NLC
Steveyb

Return to Electrical