speedo stopped working kzn165 td.

speedo stopped working kzn165 td.

Postby duf_beer on Mon, 23 Mar 2015 7:12 +0000

2002 kzn165 4x4 single cab td electronic speedo
just changed speedo gear to correct my setup - speedo stopped working altogether, swapped back to old still no reading, then swapped gears over both units still no reading?? unusual for two units not to work especially when the original was working before. checked all fuses still no joy. checked manual no reference, does anyone know which fuse the speedo wiring is connected to, had fuse problems when I bought the ute still sorting out and blowing park lights in headlamps. just had gearbox changed aswell going to have to chase back all connections from sender to guage to make sure good connection, though id ask just incase this is a common problem
duf_beer

Re: speedo stopped working kzn165 td.

Postby hotMetal on Wed, 25 Mar 2015 5:23 +0000

What gearbox did you swap into it? If it was a different one, the connectors might fit perfectly but there is differences inside the box. There's a tooted wheel setup that the ECU converts to display speed, some have a different amount of tooth gear pick-ups which I think works magnetically then gets converted to a pulse wave then calculated for speed. Some have different amounts of toothed gears and this screws the ECU. Especially auto to auto or manual to auto swaps.

Had a similar problem on my Cressida a while back which uses a very similar auto box, A340E compared to a an A340F. Ended up being the speed pick-up on the box had a different toothed gear so sending a different pulse valve to the ECU, this also screws with ABS.

But your problem seems to be way more complex, with all that wiring related issues and blown lights etc. I'd say you have an earthing problem somewhere.

Check out the Toymods Forum, loads of info there on Toyota's too. Doesn't have to be a Hilux, almost all Toyota's share common components :)

Cheers
hotMetal

Postby duf_beer on Fri, 27 Mar 2015 3:20 +0000

gearbox is r150f swapped over from 94 sr5 v6 forrunner, identical including transfer to original r151f from kzn165, direct replacement except for shifter being 3 inches back, both senders appear identical gears are different 33tooth for forerunner 29tooth for kzn165 have tried all combinations of the two, will a auto electrician be able to test both senders to see if they work? if I could get a multimeter would I be able to test myself? - did notice that rear spotlight is directly grounded to vehicle chassis maybe source of fault. easy rewire.
will change immediately.
electrical not my forte.
love the the first gear of the r150f not so good for towing or loaded but makes the ute zippy.
thanks for your interest.
duf_beer

Postby duf_beer on Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:08 +0000

problem solved, if anyone has a similar problem pull the entire speedo tranducer apart clean and re lube - if any oil gets on the contact point inside the mechanism you lose contact resulting in zero reading.There is a difference in diameter of the two gears and whatever gear you use must match the worm drive inside the case wich is not difficult but a timely process waiting for gasket sealer to set after changing the worm drive parts to do this are readily available if you know what you are after. still couldn't find the model number of the transfer cases to better explain but most everyone I spoke to about it just said add a corrector box. on that note jaycar electronics has a listing for $55 for an assemble yourself correction box with manual controls - i.e you dial it in using gps after assembly and installation, or
aisat instruments will supply and fit an electronic module for $300 better quality.
thankyou for the responses.
duf_beer

Return to Electrical