alternator rebuild and replacements

alternator rebuild and replacements

Postby GlennD on Sun, 14 Dec 2014 12:57 +0000

Hi All, Just joined up and in need of some solid advice.
Hilux is 1990 3L
Found bearing noise from alternator, took it to auto electrician who only had a 1991 onward replacement ( vacuum pump in front) and said that won't fit due to fan shroud getting in the way ?? Anyone know if its possible to replace the old rear mounted vacuum pump type alternator with the more recent front mounted one ?
So looking at my Toyota workshop manuals, I can't seem to find any mention of a rear bearing in the alternator breakdown, only the front one. Surely there's a mistake here ? These are the genuine Toyota factory maintenance manuals.
I'm in two minds about replacing the old one completely, its been on the vehicle well before 1998 when I bought the vehicle so its given great service.
Any hints would be gratefully accepted

Also, examining the vacuum pump breakdown, there is no visible bearing in there. I don't think the vanes simply float in the lube, what the heck ??
GlennD

Re: alternator rebuild and replacements

Postby martynvella on Sun, 14 Dec 2014 2:05 +0000

Some denso alternators didn't have a rear bearing, had an oil pressure fed bush, or white metal bearing, which ever you choose to call it, unless these were starved for oil they never needed replacing but the seals do. You don't want the alt with the front mount vac pump, they are a pain and very costly.

Why wouldn't the sparkie repair your old unit?

Should still be able to get replacement units from any of the major importers like ashdown ingrams or auto electrics Australia. Wouldn't go to repco unless you print your own money.
martynvella

Postby GlennD on Mon, 15 Dec 2014 5:31 +0000

Thanks for replying. What you call white metal, is this bronze or brass you're referring to ? I did an Electrical apprenticeship a long time ago and during my cross training I also worked in the machine shop. From what I can remember, white metal used to be bronze.

Could you possibly expand on your statement that the front mounted vac type is a pain (to maintain ? or install ?).
GlennD

Postby martynvella on Mon, 15 Dec 2014 5:01 +0000

Not real sure what it is, it is similar to what big end and main bearings are made of. Never replaced one, only ever saw 2 or 3 damaged by oil starvation or dirty oil, the damage to the shaft and stator makes them un economic to repair once that happens.
martynvella

Postby bob14hilux on Mon, 15 Dec 2014 5:19 +0000

white metal is a type of alloy, usually soft but hard wearing, used a lot in bearings and in jewelery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_metal
Bob

Build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23413

If beer and women are not the answer then you are asking the wrong question
bob14hilux

Postby bansheebuzz on Thu, 18 Dec 2014 3:56 +0000

unfortunately for you being in Alice Springs, there probably isn't too many options as far as repairers are concerned. These are a very simple externally regulated alternator and are straight forward to repair. I would suggest you find another auto elec if he just wants to bolt a new one on. You only have 2 options, repair the original denso or aftermarket cheep import. Genuine new alternators are not available anymore for this style of unit.

As stated before this unit has an oil feed bush that will never wear if it has good oil supply
05 SR5 Xtra Cab D4D
Mudgeeraba Auto Electrical
bansheebuzz

Return to Electrical