Slow crank No Start when hot.

Slow crank No Start when hot.

Postby DieselBurner on Sun, 26 Oct 2014 5:36 +0000

Hi guys,

Just having problems with starting my 01 SR5 turbo diesel. I've done heaps of researching on forums and old threads and I have come to a probable answer to my problems but want to hear from you, what your thoughts are?

So as the thread title states, after a bit of driving/moderate 4WDing, music cranking and UHF on, the old girls has troubles starting when I turn her off for up to 10 minutes or so. My Hilux will crank over real slow and doesn't start, as if the battery is flat (3 month old battery and have had it load tested, so it's still in top condition). Leave it for a further 10-15 minutes and "ro ro ro...(starts)".

Batteries is good, alternator is charging and good, so what do you guys and girls think the problems is? As mentioned, after reading countless threads and forums, and a mates similar experience, I'm certain about what's causing the problem. Had a mechanic look at it while getting a serviced and they couldn't fault anything (typical). :roll:

I'm gonna look into replacing the earthing wire from the crank battery, looks like its getting frayed.

Appreciate any inputs.

Cheers.
DieselBurner

Re: Slow crank No Start when hot.

Postby boxhead55 on Sun, 26 Oct 2014 5:52 +0000

Welcome.
Cracker first post.
Starter motor.

Contacts to be precise but with the age I would replace the total unit.
boxhead55

Postby DieselBurner on Sun, 26 Oct 2014 9:13 +0000

Cheers mate. Yep, I'm certain it's the starter motor too with everything I've read but couldn't be any more precise than that as to which part.

Thanks again.
DieselBurner

Postby Offguts-sr5 on Mon, 27 Oct 2014 3:01 +0000

Earthing problem? Have had a similar problem like this with an old xa falcon. Changed earth strap and started every time when hot
07 SR5 Hilux 4x4 dual cab t/d Auto, 07 bf f6 typhoon 350+rwkw & 02 XR6 5 speed sedan
Offguts-sr5

Postby martynvella on Mon, 27 Oct 2014 3:43 +0000

My guess would be a stuck or worn out brush in the starter, starters are cheap as chips so even if it is something else like corrosion inside the battery cable or something along those lines you would be doing yourself a favour replacing the starter.

If you want to be sure, get it to play up and measure the voltage between the starter battery terminal and the starter body while it is cranking but not firing, would hope to see 9.5 minimum, if it is higher than that and still labours ditch the starter.

Nothing worse than fitting a new part then finding it was a two bob bit that was causing the problem.
martynvella

Postby DieselBurner on Mon, 27 Oct 2014 9:33 +0000

Offguts-sr5 wrote:Earthing problem? Have had a similar problem like this with an old xa falcon. Changed earth strap and started every time when hot

Yeah, gonna change that earth strap from the starter battery to engine/chassis. Is there a minimum gauge I'll need to replace it with? And where should I be able to purchase said strap? I'm in a kind of rural town and have limited access to automotive shops.

martynvella wrote:My guess would be a stuck or worn out brush in the starter, starters are cheap as chips so even if it is something else like corrosion inside the battery cable or something along those lines you would be doing yourself a favour replacing the starter.

If you want to be sure, get it to play up and measure the voltage between the starter battery terminal and the starter body while it is cranking but not firing, would hope to see 9.5 minimum, if it is higher than that and still labours ditch the starter.

Nothing worse than fitting a new part then finding it was a two bob bit that was causing the problem.

Thanks for your response, stupid question, but to do that just get a multimeter and "connect" it to the leads from the starting battery and starter motor itself? Or do you mean measure it at the starter motor itself?

Thanks again.
DieselBurner

Postby martynvella on Tue, 28 Oct 2014 11:16 +0000

measure it at the starter itself, that way it will show up and faulty leads or connections.
martynvella

Postby rory18 on Tue, 28 Oct 2014 2:02 +0000

Had similar things happen on three different landcruisers utes.. Starts in the morning, drive to the job and than nothing or very slow crank. New starter motor all 3 times fixed the problem.
rory18
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DieselBurner on Tue, 28 Oct 2014 4:19 +0000

Cheers. Thanks for all input and now pretty much confirms my suspicion on the starter motor.
DieselBurner

Postby banksy on Tue, 28 Oct 2014 4:27 +0000

If you think its the earth just get a jumper lead & connect it to the - battery terminal to the body of the starter motor.
It will soon eliminate if that's the cause.
banksy

Return to Electrical