2004 1KZ Accessory Plug and Fuse Block Install

2004 1KZ Accessory Plug and Fuse Block Install

Postby DavidSR52004 on Sat, 31 May 2014 8:06 +0000

Thought i would post some photos of a bit of home electrical work I have attemtped. This is the first time i have attempted this so if anyone has any suggestions fire away.

So i wanted a few extra accessory plugs in the cab for taking car of kids in back and a few dash accessories. So the idea was a dual plug (ciga and USB slots) at the rear and a singel plug in the front of the centre console. The power was coing from a new fuse block i installed under the hood.

So firstly i installed the plugs using 6mm twin core. I wired straight to the ciga socket first then used piggy back connectors to connect the USB and front ciga socket. Tried to keep it all neet with heat shrink. Routed the twin core along the bottom of the console, through the gear stick panel and then popped it through a small hole at front of gear stick panel into dash panel so it almost all hidden. Then routed the cable up behind the drivers pedals and through fire wall. Here are some photos.

DavidSR52004

Re: 2004 1KZ Accessory Plug and Fuse Block Install

Postby DavidSR52004 on Sat, 31 May 2014 8:10 +0000

So the next step was to clean up all the accesory wires in the engine bay with a fuse block and an Anderson Plug for the rear of the tray for charging batteries on camper trailer.

This is an image of the birds nest of wires in the engine bay before hand.

I'll post some more steps in the process in the coming days, including the setup of the Anderson plug and voltage sensitive relay.

DavidSR52004

Postby sutts on Mon, 02 Jun 2014 7:13 +0000

I'll be following this one for sure - cheers
sutts

Postby DavidSR52004 on Tue, 03 Jun 2014 8:14 +0000

Ok so made some more progress on the fuse block and Anderson plug setup. I wanted a nice flat surface to mount all the bits so thought a plate or board would be the go. I dont do much metal work so the metal plate wasnt happening, so instead i used a piece of marine ply cut to size to allow it to be bolted off along the engine bay recessed bolts. see pic

Once bolted off in three places it is pretty solid and secure and allows me to scre a range of thing to it relatively simply, rather then punching holes through the body work.

Now the plate is in place, the first thing i wanted to do was mount the large items including the Baintech fuse block (6 positions) and the Enerdrive voltage sensative relay for the Anderson plug.

There isnt a great photo of it (i'll add one later), but you can just see at the bottom centre of the last picture, i put in two 100amp maxi fuses on the positive leads from the battery and before the the relay and the fuse block to take care of any worst case scenarios. Probably way to much overkill for the fuse block but it is rated to 100 amps, and although most accessories are under 30 amp though it is a cheap bit of insurance. I have yet to decide how best to secure those as well. At the moment they are still floating in the engine bay next to fatory fuse block. Was thinking of gluying a piece of high density plastic to side of factory fuse plock and screwing them to that.

So now its just a case of taking all the red positives and black negatives off the battery terminals and wire up to the +ve and -ve bus of the fuse block. More on that later.
DavidSR52004

Return to Electrical