Jaycar Mirror Reversing Camera ???

Jaycar Mirror Reversing Camera ???

Postby ng_newbie on Tue, 24 Sep 2013 9:12 +0000

G'Day Guys

I have been thinking about a reversing camera for a while & I do not like the idea of looking down to watch the monitor :(

Jaycar have a Mirror Reversing Camera, has anyone tried one of these ???

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QM3795

Notice if we bought 4+ the price drops to $118 from $149 !!!

NG
In the market for

- Lokkas & someone to help me install it :)
- 24v Rattle gun - https://dewalt.com.au/products/dcf899hn ... -bare-unit
- 24v Freezer
- 24v Air Conditioner
- 24v Battery Pack - ozBATs.com
ng_newbie

Re: Jaycar Mirror Reversing Camera ???

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 24 Sep 2013 9:23 +0000

NG.
Looking at this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111078181257?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648
I've had wireless ones before and they get a lot of interference especially from mobile phones. The one in the link has an AV cable. They are absolutely awesome for backing a trailer up to the hitch. I also recently tickled a wall with my tray so I have to get around to getting one.
Cheers'
Skog
Skog07

Postby ng_newbie on Tue, 24 Sep 2013 9:54 +0000

Hey Skog

Thanks for the heads up, I am 'Glad' to hear that the wireless are getting lots of interference.

This one looks marvy !!!

I like the idea of night vision.

But it has to be wired :(

Notice in the picture you cant see any cables hanging down from the mirror, I am left wondering how they did that ???

NG
In the market for

- 24v Freezer
- 24v Air Conditioner
ng_newbie

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 24 Sep 2013 10:06 +0000

I will let you know mate. I haven't bought crap of ebay in years. Just fixed up my new paypal account and just ordered it. Thanks for making me bite the bullet.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I can see truck loads of crap coming my way now that I'm active again on ebay.. :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Skog07

Postby ng_newbie on Tue, 24 Sep 2013 10:32 +0000

Hey Skog

I am going to be waiting to hear about the quality , installability ...

The design seems to be spot on, but you never know until you try and set it up !!!

Sorry to tell you can buy off FleaBay without a Paypal account.

When they tried to 'force' us aussies into using only Paypal a few years ago, the Feds made them add an option to the payment screen which allows you to 'not login' & just enter Credit Card details without an account, I have been doing this for years now.

If you had any problems with a purchase you just ask for a 'Charge back' from the card provider.

NG
In the market for

- 24v Freezer
- 24v Air Conditioner
ng_newbie

Postby Skog07 on Fri, 27 Sep 2013 11:09 +0000

NG, it arrived its a tidy unit and not bad for $62.00. May have accidently wired it incorrectly :oops: :oops:
Managed to feed it two positive feeds on both the negative and positive had me stumped for a while.. (OK about 3hrs..) It looks as though it shorted out the keypad internally somewhere so I had to double sided tape the remote controller to the front panel to access the menus and to switch it on. I ended up ordering another one so I can wire up another camera onto the second port and hopefully replace the monitor I destroyed with my wiring capabilities. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can see in the above pic I've ran the wire along underneath the roof liner in the gap between the windscreen it comes across the a pillar and down the inside of the door rubber to the drivers side kick panel where all the connections are.

Just fabbed up a bracket out of some 125 X 4 SHS to mount the camera on. Will enclose the front to protect the camera and probably weld in a steel conduit back to the chassis to protect the wiring from sticks etc. For $60 odd dollars not bad value, looking forward to being able to get the trailer on a lot easier now again.
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby ng_newbie on Sat, 28 Sep 2013 8:44 +0000

Hey Skog (Legend)

Thanks for the heads up mate :ugeek:

You are the man, Boxhead keeps tell me he is, but you have taken his crown now :o

So I was right, the photo on eBay did not show the wiring, I like your idea of running it around near the drivers side, then a passenger who does not know about the cable will not be able to 'mess' it up !!!

So I have a really dumb question, when the monitor is turned off, the unit becomes a mirror, is that how it works ???

or

Does it become transparent & you can see thru. to the old mirror ???

I also like the bracket you have put together, maybe you can put them up on fleebay once you have your design finalised for sale ???

Also if I understand you, you can use the buttons on the unit instead of the remote control to manage all the settings ???

NG
In the market for

- 24v Freezer
- 24v Air Conditioner
ng_newbie

Postby Skog07 on Sat, 28 Sep 2013 1:16 +0000

Haha.
Boxhead is a technical wiz, I'm just a hack.. :lol: :lol:
Nah the picture doesn't show the wiring, but you can tuck it up neatly above the windscreen and run it down the back of the door seal to the drivers foot well to make all your connections. There is enough length to do the job nicely. Ive always found myself to be a bit brutal on plastics and thought about concealing the connector behind the pillar plastic. But for ease of removal decided to keep the connector visible if I wanted to remove the display for any reason without having to pull the plastics apart.
When turned off you can change the screen angle to become a mirror, it goes a dark silver and with a clean screen looks like a normal rear view mirror. However being a dark silver it does give the effect of looking through a tinted back window. During the day. If you turn the unit back on without readjusting the angle the reflected glare for the light behind will impare the image. (Like looking at a TV in sunlight) A simple twist and readjustment of the mirror to change the angle solves the issue.
The unit clamps onto the rear view mirror with two clamps that are spring loaded. You can remove it within 10 seconds if you want to use the factory mirror. Was thinking of sticking some sticky butts along the top of the windscreen that can hold cable rather than trying to conceal behind the roof liner.
Cheers
Mark
Skog07

Postby bogged tom on Fri, 04 Oct 2013 11:49 +0000

Hi,
I have a bit of a frankentein camera and screen setup in my Hilux. Initially i bought an ebay wireless kit with the tinted type mirror, the screen lighting up on the right side in reverse only, the problem i had was the clip over mirror/screen would tilt down over bumps causing the mirror to see the floor (the factory mirror mount was weak).
So i did a bit of research and found out that if you have a canopy or other obstruction you can remove the factory mirror and replace it with a monitor (in SA, don't know about other states). Then i got a 7' monitor which fits nicely between the visors and plugged it to the receiver with a second camera at the top of my canopy as a permanent rear vision.
Now because i have 2 cameras/transmitters and one receiver they interfere a bit when in reverse, but not bad enough to bother me, normally i can only see through the high camera even in reverse because the high transmitter has a clearer path to the receiver, but if i turn off the high camera then i see through the low one and can see the ground 20cm out from the back. Between the high camera and side mirrors i have no blind spots a small car can fit into. Lots of times i have had small cars tailgating me where i cant see them in the sides but they are right up there on the screen.

Whatever way you go, reversing cameras are cheap, easy and bloody excellent to have.
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room.
http://www.youtube.com/user/weirdbikes?feature=mhee
bogged tom

Postby gammo42 on Sun, 06 Oct 2013 8:30 +0000

I normally only recommend mirror monitors for people who cannot use the mirror due to something blocking the view. The reason for this is that everyone is used to what they see from the mirror and when it is used as a monitor it obscures the image from the actual mirror. The camera view is often different from the actual mirror especially when you are trying to judge depth.

Each to there own though, everyone is different and I was lucky enough to have a reversing camera being displayed on a Double DIN Kenwood stereo instead so I could still use the mirror as normal. The reversing camera was mainly for hitching to a trailer or seeing if anyone was standing behind you before reversing.

I have never installed an analogue wireless reversing camera that works perfectly either. There are some digital 2.4GHz models staring to become available, I have tested one and it looked great.

Food for thought....

Gammo
gammo42

Return to Electrical