1kz-te Not Charging and other electrical issues

1kz-te Not Charging and other electrical issues

Postby DrLui on Tue, 02 Apr 2013 9:37 +0000

Hi everyone this is my first post.

I have a 2001 SR5 Dual Cab with a 1kz-te and I have a few electrical problems

It all started when my power windows switches got covered in water as I left the windows down while it was raining, which blew the fuse which also controlled the tacho. I changed the fuse labeled 'gauge' under the dash and all was Ok.
Then I went for a drive and then it blew again (so I had no tacho or power windows) along with all the warning lights wouldn't come on i.e. Glow plug light, hand brake light, battery light etc. Now I cannot find a fuse for these lights.

On top of everything my battery wasn't being charged, which i thought was the alternator, which i have changed but still the voltage over the battery while the engine is running is about 11.98v

Any help will be appreciated
Cheers
DrLui

Re: 1kz-te Not Charging and other electrical issues

Postby DrLui on Tue, 02 Apr 2013 3:08 +0000

Managed to fix the problem, the fuse labeled "Gauge" blew again and for some reason this was not letting the alternator charge. Now while the Hilux is running it is getting about 14v
DrLui

Postby mattwhite on Tue, 02 Apr 2013 3:17 +0000

That was because the alternator warning light is part of the charging circuit. I didnt reply earlier because I thought I thought you would of checked that again and also I'd question why it blew twice. Maybe water in the switch?
mattwhite

Postby DrLui on Tue, 02 Apr 2013 3:51 +0000

Yea, i would replaced it again but i ran out of 10a fuses, and i didnt think that it would be the problem as when initially they fuse blew the warning lights were working and so was the heater and the alternator was also working as i managed to drive home without any issues, it was just the windows and the tacho that went initially.

I think there was a bit of water left over, i have gone over all the switches now and made sure they are all dry now.
DrLui

Return to Electrical