Diff-Lock light not working on dash..

Diff-Lock light not working on dash..

Postby barrz84 on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 7:08 +0000

My '03 SR5 has a problem where the diff locks in hi and lo however, the green light on the dash doesn't come on anymore. It occasionally flickers but no consistency, it almost looks like it must be shorting somewhere?? I've checked all 3 transfer indicator switches by shorting with a piece wire and still no light on the dash...?! Running out of ideas before I have to go to Toyota and get hammered with a huge bill for something minor!! 4x4 works fine as I've had it checked out mechanically and also been on the dunes plenty of times since the light hasn't been working properly.. Anyone???!!
barrz84

Re: Diff-Lock light not working on dash..

Postby Qwerty on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 8:30 +0000

are you talking about diff locks, or 4wd engagement? two very different things.

03 SR5 hiluxes did not have diff locks from factory, neither do current models. After market ones won't have a "dash light" as such.
Qwerty

Postby barrz84 on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 9:05 +0000

Ok I mean the standard 4WD engagement (from my research online I noticed alot of people referring to the same problem as diff-lock light) - when the 4WD button is pressed in the light on the dash isn't working correctly if at all. It used to illuminate as soon as the button was pressed when I first got the car so not sure what has gone wrong. As i said occasionally I see it flicker on when I'm engaged in 4WD but nothing solid or consistent...driving me nuts!
barrz84

Postby Qwerty on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 9:36 +0000

ok does 4wd actually engage though? ie. is the issue that 4wd won't engage at all, or that it does engage but the light isn't working?
Qwerty

Postby barrz84 on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 10:23 +0000

4WD works no problem in both hi and low range - done heaps of dune driving since this occured. It's simply the light not working properly - I've only seen it flicker a couple times in last couple years and i do heaps of 4x4.. I got put off getting it fixed as auto-elec quoted me somethign ridiculous with no guarantee of diagnosis. I just let it go as it wasn't effecting my 4x4 but now I want to fix it as it's that annoying thing that used to work properly!!
barrz84

Postby Husky77 on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 10:41 +0000

Just a thought, If its the model with A.D.D which i assume it is if you push the button to engage 4wd, you could try checking the plugs/wires that clip in the front of the A.D.D - pretty sure one of them activates the light on the dash.. Just disconnect them & blow them out with WD40 or similar.

Cheers,
Craig
Husky77
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TDog on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 10:44 +0000

I'm hearing you buddy!

I believe in the older SR5 models without free wheeling hubs there was a vacum switch on the transfer box which the switch engaged. The actuator had a switch to say it was engaged or not. All underneath the vehicle so exposed to the elements. I have heard of some having the vacum tube come off or split which cause it not to engage (doesn't sound like your issue) and others which have the position wiring play up. Dirty contacts or broken wires etc. Have a good look underneath and if possible have someone actuating the button so you can pinpoint the location. Check all wiring leading to and from and hoses etc. Hopefully something simple!
My Build Thread!

Beer O'Clock Hill!
LCMP Camp Road!
Janowen Hills Mud Run!

If you don't mind .......... I have a serious crush on my Hilux!
TDog
Platinum Subscriber

Postby barrz84 on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 11:01 +0000

Cheers Craig will have another look at the ADD tomorrow but old man is pretty good with mechanics and reckons he's sussed all that out previously too no avail...he's got the 98 hilux though so completely different setup so I'm not 100% sure we've been checking the right things!!

Haha cheers TDog thats my main concern is if the wires are shorting somewhere I cbf running new looms etc!!! Gonna get under there tomorrow just gotta fire up old man to give me a hand again before I do the dreaded Toyota Dealer phone cal....not keen!!!
barrz84

Postby Qwerty on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 2:25 +0000

I reckon it'll just be a loose wire or connection somewhere mate ...

if ADD had an actual issue youd find you werent getting 4wd engaged ... but seems yours is always engaging, its just not illuminating the led.

try to identify as much relevant wiring / connections as possible and check it all , unplug replug, check for dry joints etc.

I agree though ... getting stuck into wiring looms is a Pain in the Arse

The auto leeccy probably just thought "dont want to do this job" so aimed really high with his quote. Thats what they do

One of my best mates is an auto sparky and a damn good one ... that's what he tells me when a PITA (pain in the ass) job comes along!

btw you can probably get the parts diagrams , part numbers, cable runs and even wiring diagrams off this site, just punch in the relevant details : http://www.toyodiy.com/
Qwerty

Postby barrz84 on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 9:31 +0000

Thanks for your help mate my first time trying a forum and wondering why now bloody hilux legends everywhere!!! Will post back after weekend if I solve it..!!
barrz84

Return to Electrical