Is this a first!!!! Starter motor problem

Is this a first!!!! Starter motor problem

Postby Luxy on Tue, 25 Sep 2012 6:45 +0000

My 2000 TD Hilux, as been in the family since new... dad bought ir brand spankin new, and I bought it off him with 430,000kms on the clock, it now has 590,000kms on it (2000 model ;) ) and has been the best car ever!
So reliable, touch wood, still original motor, turbo, injector pump etc. Gearbox was reco'd at 350,000kms, rear diff spat it only about 10,000kms ago. No real troubles at all.

Today, I leave for work, no problems, the might lux is running sweet.
Turn the key to come home tonight. Nothing. The dash lights are all shining brightly and dont dim when I turn the key, the battery is fully charged. New brushes and a full reco were done on the starter motor about 100,000kms ago, but I didnt think it would of died already?? I give it a whack with a hammer, still nothing.
I get it tow started and its fine.

So when I get home, I crawl under it to have a look. The wires are still into the starter motor, there is a bit of diret grit and sh!t in the area, so im thinking of pulling the starter out. I notice a couple of clumps of mud rolling around on top of the bash plate cover, so I squeeze my fingers through, crumble them up a bit and get them out.
Then I feel something like a socket in there... thats funny, havent used a socket set on it for a ages... usually just for a service... but as I get it out... it looks like this.... :?
Im thinking... wtf is that! :o

Mints container there for size reference....

and

Im on the phone to a mate, then it clicks!
Its the bit on top of the starter motor that actually kicks it into gear!!
It has just broken off... or fallen out.... or something!!! :o :lol:
Thanks god the bashplate caught it otherwise it would of fallen out somewhere between work and home!
And I doubt I would of been able to get just that bit from a wreckers!! I would of had to get the WHOLE starter motor! :lol:
How the f.... does it go back in... or how the f... did it fall out to start with!! :lol:
Never seen it happen before! :oops:

Might just run it around to the auto elecs tomorrow incase it turns into a pain in the arse job the refit back into the start again tonight.. :roll:

:D
2000 HILUX SR5 Turbo Diesel

:arrow: The Lux!!
Luxy

Re: Is this a first!!!! Starter motor problem

Postby benzo on Tue, 25 Sep 2012 6:49 +0000

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: im an auto elec mate and id jus be slapping a whole new starter in it!
benzo

Postby Luxy on Tue, 25 Sep 2012 7:02 +0000

But... but.... but.. .can it be fixed!??
The missus just lost her job... and I havent got the extra cashola for a couple of weeks till I clear up some other bills! :oops: :lol:

Have you seen it happen before though??? :mrgreen:

Luxy

Postby benzo on Tue, 25 Sep 2012 7:08 +0000

yer if the auto elecs got couple old spare bits lying around, the bolts and cap that holds that "plunger" has fallen off and probly lying on the road somewhere :lol: only reason that would happer is someone hasnt done the bolts up properly :roll:
benzo

Postby skirex on Tue, 25 Sep 2012 7:14 +0000

Id get a new one if i could. (only a few hundred) then it would be reliable for ages. Looks like you got a good reliable ute there with the kms on it.
If In Doubt, Bridge It Out...
skirex

Postby Luxy on Tue, 25 Sep 2012 7:22 +0000

Fair enough! Thanks for the advice! :)

Luxy

Postby bansheebuzz on Wed, 26 Sep 2012 4:05 +0000

I would fix your genuine stater before fitting an aftermarket one. A properly rebuilt starter with genuine parts will outlast the aftermarket. I rebuild most things with genuine parts where possible. The plunger that you show needs replacing. I can see from the pic the copper ring is heavily worn and it will need an end cap that you cannot buy separate. Locate a reputable auto elec in your area and they should be able to fix it for you. I have hundreds of 2nd hand starters and alternators at my shop for just this reason, to get parts from them you cannot buy.
05 SR5 Xtra Cab D4D
Mudgeeraba Auto Electrical
bansheebuzz

Return to Electrical