Camper trailer electrical

Postby wholehog on Tue, 18 Oct 2011 3:27 +0000

I realise this is a ute forum but maybe some of the wizards of eletrics can assist.
My trailer the provision for 2 batteries(100 a/h full river or redback AGM) any thoughts on these choices? ..fuses and circuit breakers...a few 12v sockets and a few lights..all receiving a charge from an Anderson lead on the drawbar. i want to add a DC/DC charger but am in two minds on which way to go about it
*1 Should i just lash out and buy a Redarc BMS1215...i can add charge from the car...solar and i can plug it into 240v ..sweet.. Can i use a Honda EU20i generator to power the redarc? I am also concerned about the Redarc in regards to dust,heat,vibration and water(spray)..its also putting all your eggs in one basket so to speak,if it fails i have no back up...
*2The second option is to get a CTEK D250s..I'm also thinking i would get a CTEK XS25000 and have this hardwires to the batteries so if camping with power i can just plug in and it will replenish what we use.can i use the Honda EU20i generator to power the XS25000..Then i probably need some type of gauge to show the power we have left.
The electrician up the street is great for wiring up ya spotties or fixing the starter motor or alternator,but stood there with a blank look when i asked him about DC/DC chargers campers trailers etc
I usually tend to give most things a crack but electrical is a dark art and I'm not confident,so if any Central Coasties know of any body that they re comend then I'm open to input
:cheers:
wholehog

Re: Camper trailer electrical

Postby McSumWay on Tue, 18 Oct 2011 5:05 +0000

Hi mate

I have used full river AGMs and find them excellent when used with Dc-Dc chargers

Yes you can use Honda gennies with either of these chargers

I have been using the BMS1215 in the canopy of my Hilux for two years and 50000 kms including a trip across the Simpson and two other outback journeys with zero issues. The best thing about them is the everything in one unit and the information available ie: how many days/hours care left.

The instalation of these units would be straight forward for your sparky if you I've him the manuals.

Good luck
I have nothing good to say down here so I wont say anything at all
McSumWay

Re: Camper trailer electrical

Postby Horse on Tue, 18 Oct 2011 6:00 +0000

Hey Wholehog
My camper trailer had a single deep cycle which i charged with
a C-Tek charger which i would top up every couple of day via a Honda EU20i.
I found i would get three days out of the battery running fridge and lights.
The C-Tek will tell you your battery level once on charge so that worked fine for me
with the bonus of using it on powered site in supply mode.
Never fixed my C-Tek to my trailer because i used it for my boat and cars.
I think with 2 batteries you should get 5-6 day of charge so a couple of hours every
few days with a EU20i shouldn't be a big hassle. I also had a 20m cord to put the Honda
far enough away from other campers , even though there pretty quiet not everyone will tolerate
the noise .
Horse

Postby wholehog on Wed, 19 Oct 2011 4:20 +0000

Cheers for that... Still unsure of which direction to take..... I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure
wholehog

Return to Electrical