Fuse between battery and red arc solenoid?

Re: Fuse between battery and red arc solenoid?

Postby Putsy on Sat, 03 Dec 2011 9:51 +0000

Steveyb wrote:
bigmagskip wrote:I love differing opinions coming out of sparkie shops!! Mine told me not to worry about fusing between battery and redarc and just to fuse any accessories being powered off the battery.

maybe he missed that class at TAFE as an apprentice.

I haven't blown anything up yet

What are the chances.... more than likely you will not blow anything up, though,
I fit sh!t loads of different and strange equipment into vehicles for people that deploy offshore in defense situations (no, not the Army!!!)... all I can say is a fuse in the correct location for ALL devices is a must.. it has saved alot of heartache and my arse getting kicked very hard on several occasions. never underestimate the back luck of others :)

I agree, iv also fitted alot of funky stuff to defence vehicels and non-defence vehicels for deployment operations and the people taking delivery of the vehicels wont take them if basic stuff like fuses on all direct powed items arnt fitted. You can get a 50/100/150amp circut braker with a over ride so it for some reason you need to draw a few more amps through the circuit in a emergency situation you can. 8-)
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6631&p=95887&hilit=Putsy#p95887 My Build... A little small but its not always the size that matters ;)

putsy@newhilux.net
Putsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aandy on Sat, 03 Dec 2011 3:05 +0000

Well Im not gonna be the one to tell you not to protect a circuit, but I would highly recommend you carry whatever is necessary to throw the fuse/circuit breaker into the bush as far as you can and reconnect the cable to the battery. wait until your main battery is dead, your second battery is low on volts and your trying to start your car you will need to throw that fuse away.

My second battery is for aux loads only (charged by ctek dc-dc) and as a backup for starting/extreme long winching I have a manual marine battery isolating switch to link both batteries in parallel, all loads are fused except the parallel link.
aandy

Postby Jengel on Fri, 16 Dec 2011 6:09 +0000

Fuses are there to limit the short circuit capacity of a circuit. Do the OEM supply them with a new vehicle? No. Rather assure there is no rubbing of cables and good insulation. When you add items where there is a possibility for damage, then I suggest you fit a fuse. Between 2 batteries, short cables, well tied down cables? NO, I won't. When I winch, I connect both batteries hard via a solenoid to assure maximum capacity. Normally the solenoid is off and the Redarc DC-DC charge the second battery.
Becareful of just using common fuses. Glass fuses (high amperage) explode when a short circuit occur. This is why industrial fuses use ceramic bodies. If you do want to add a fuse, consider industrail slow blow fuses like used in switchboards. Automative circuit breakers are also practical for the smaller circuit. It's easy to isolate a circuit with them.
My shed: http://www.newhilux.net/myshed.php?view=1&id=3832
VK4JHE
You can follow . . . but it might hurt!
Jengel

Postby pigbuds on Mon, 19 Dec 2011 8:25 +0000

Do the job properly, and i cant see any reason why they absolutly have to be fused.
Always good for piece of mind i spose
pigbuds

Previous

Return to Electrical