Hilux Light Issues

Hilux Light Issues

Postby Nicos on Sun, 19 Jun 2011 8:46 +0000

Hello All I am having some dramas with my hunting vehicle. It’s a 1983 Toyota Hilux Dual Cab LN46. I noticed one of my parkers was out so I changed out the lamp and then went to turn back on my lights, parkers come on but I have no low beam? If you flick to Hi bean (suspected Hi beam) they work but the Indicator light on the dash doesn’t come up and also there is nothing going to the coil of my relay for the after market spotlights. I have checked fuses and relays and have disconnected all the extra spotlights but still no Luck. Any ideas of what could be going on. I have followed the schematic and there is neutral at the top of the lights. Just a little lost on how I have hi beam but no hi beam indicator and no low beam. Thanks
Nicos

Re: Hilux Light Issues

Postby danmcccc on Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:17 +0000

:?
that is all ive got
old enough to know better...young enough to not give a f**k

MY KILLER BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?t=9235
danmcccc

Postby BAT091 on Sun, 19 Jun 2011 2:52 +0000

Hey mate assuming the earlier hiluxs have the same set up as the new then the high beam light is actually linked to your low beam wire as it gets a power trace through the filament when switched to high beam and if both globes are blown then this would forbid the high beam light from working And would also explain why the relay has no supply to switching contacts if your switching wire has been spliced the low beam wire and powers the relay when the power trace is sent to high beam light... So remove the headlight bulbs and check the low beam filament... I know this sounds odd but I've seen it numerous times at work... P.s I did my best not to confuse anyone :)
Cheers Kirk

BAT091 LUX BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10014
BAT091

Postby Nicos on Sun, 19 Jun 2011 3:06 +0000

Ok then I got most of that lol, I have tested all the way up to the light. On low beam I have 12v between ground and what I believe is the low beam contact. But there is no light on. So I am assuming that the filament is rooted so I run an ohm meter over it and got open circuit.

When I flicked hi beam on I get 12v between ground and low beam contact and ground and the, hi beam contact.

Just making sure I’m not missing anything here but you would have to say that the low beam filaments in both lights are rooted and this is also the reason I have no hi beam indicator on the dash??

These lights are sealed beam so not as simple as changing the lamps and I am having troubles trying to find ones for the old girl. Is there any other companies that make mock ones or some sort of adaptor?

Thanks Nic
Nicos

Postby danmcccc on Sun, 19 Jun 2011 3:14 +0000

you can buy halogen replacements from most auto stores mate
old enough to know better...young enough to not give a f**k

MY KILLER BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?t=9235
danmcccc

Postby BAT091 on Sun, 19 Jun 2011 3:19 +0000

The plug on the back of the light should have two pins vertical both left and right and one horizontal at the top... Looking at the back of the plug where your wires enter the left vertical pin should be your common b+, the middle horizontal pin will be b- when light switch is in low beam position and the right vertical pin will be b- when switch in high beam position.. So you should be able to put your test light clamp on the positive battery post and check both your low and high wires at the plug... If all supplies are there as I described then you'll be up for some new headlights... As for sourcing the lights you shouldn't have drama as I'm pretty sure they are a common size just see your auto elec and they should be able to get them.. Other alternative is to buy the semi sealed headlights and fit bulbs to them.. Same plugs and everything a straight out swap... But I think the sealed beam will be a cheaper option...
Cheers Kirk

BAT091 LUX BUILD THREAD
BAT091

Postby Nicos on Sun, 19 Jun 2011 3:43 +0000

Yeha ok mate Cheers. Yeah your dead right about the pin arangement and it seems that the low beam filament is rooted. I should be getting a reading in ohms between the common and low beam pin. and the common and hi beam pin?
Nicos

Postby BAT091 on Sun, 19 Jun 2011 5:15 +0000

Yea that's correct you should be getting some sort of reading through the filaments... And if nothing in the low beam then one would be on the search for some lights lol
Cheers Kirk

BAT091 LUX BUILD THREAD
BAT091

Return to Electrical