LIKKLEbit's 2004 sr5 build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: LIKKLEbit's 2004 sr5 build

Postby csale on Sat, 19 Jul 2014 4:05 +0000

kAm,
Are you running water / meth as well? I haven't turned my boost up yet, as when the meth is on my boost spikes to 25 at times... but i wonder if this is because of the placement of my boost sensor?

Fitment with the 33" spare is perfect no issues.
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=9919
csale

Postby kAm on Sat, 19 Jul 2014 6:41 +0000

Nah not running any water/meth injection.
I'm not too keen on that idea.
In theory it's good and all but I just don't like the idea of injecting water into the intake.
What are the chances of it flooding the intake?

You have more info on how yours is setup?
kAm

Postby csale on Sun, 20 Jul 2014 11:24 +0000

The kit sprays based on my boost sensor reaching 14psi at the moment, so no flooding the intake is possible. I'm using the equivalent of the Devilsown kit, with the older model pump. Simple on off spray with a 5GPH nozzle. I'm using an Auber boost gauge which is a beautiful digital unit that has a relay built in; so with that i have precise control over when i actually start spraying. Also everything is hooked up to a master switch so its not always on.
csale

Postby csale on Sat, 30 Jan 2016 6:30 +0000

This is an old thread with little action!

Happy new year folkes!

My fiance has actually convinced me to upgrade the engine in my lux to the 1kd. It didn't take much convincing actually! At the end of the day it will be cheaper to get a replacement engine, ecu's, harness, and all the bits than it will be to get even a used newer hilux in manual transmission.

So, my research so far has uncovered the following (and results are scarce all around) info about replacing the 1kz for a 1kd. Both are from PradoPoint:
http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.ph ... rado/page2
http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.ph ... -j95-build

As far as I understand to this point, basics of swapping in a 1KD where a 1KZ was originally planted are as follows:
1) the transmission will bolt up, but I'll need the1iKD clutch.
2) the oil sump from the 1KZ will have to be moved onto the 1KD
3) I already have electronic throttle so i should be good there.
4) the injector CPU and the Immobilizer are critical to starting the engine, the significance of the coded key remains a question.
5) I may need to consider an engine rebuild depending on what I find and at what price.
6) Expertise may be needed in case of some CPU / immobilizer snag. Good news is I have a friend at the local dealership so I am making sure I have good guidance before I even source 1KD.

Now for the first hurdle... $$$ and finding a complete engine from an importer or a crashed vehicle.

This will be a long project, and hopefully i spend the most of the time doing planning as projects are best done with lots of planning prior to execution.

Wish me luck!
csale

Postby kAm on Sat, 30 Jan 2016 6:53 +0000

From what I hear you'd want to swap all the engine related electronics over.
Immobilizer and throttle pedal etc.
just splice it into the original loom for lights etc.
it sounds straight forward doesn't it? Haha.
kAm

Postby csale on Tue, 09 Feb 2016 7:42 +0000

Found a rolled 2008 with the right engine... Belonged to someone I know... Was his pride and joy until his sister rolled it! Luckily she is ok, only suffered a broken ankle.

Now to wait out the insurance claims process and purchase the wrecker before it goes to scrap. And hopefully the engine and wiring are ok!

csale

Postby csale on Tue, 05 Apr 2016 11:44 +0000

Engine and wiring loom is out of the donor truck, now to go through and do leakdown test. will at minimum replace oil seals, check intake for EGR soot, cleanup, block EGR... and go from there before stripping my current 1KZ from my rig.

csale

Re: LIKKLEbit's 2004 sr5 build 1KZ to 1KD Swap

Postby csale on Fri, 13 May 2016 4:01 +0000

It's been a task and a half with this engine. Since there was so much oil on the engine and in the engine bay, and the oil pan and head seals didnt look great; my mechanic and i decided to go ahead and do a rebuild. This engine has over 200,000KM on it. (my current 1kz has 168,000km)
Certainly is best practice to make sure the engine is in top condition before it is put into the rig eh? Since the motor is out any way we stripped it down; and boy what a good thing we did!
There was so much sludge and carbon everywhere!
Sadly what is common in Jamaica is that people know the Toyota engines are so strong. In fact the saying is "the hilux can't done". So often times a vehicle owner will skip on the oil changes and only add oil. This seems to have been one of those engines!

After buying the conrod bearings, new rings, sleeves, oil pump, water pump, and head rebuild kit; we also found that the crank was already cut before so I had to source another crank as well... Oh well this is how it goes!

The good news is I sold the shell and chassis so that is not a worry anymore. Minus the rebuild I spent about $700 to get the engine and wiring, computers, etc... So I cant complain too much.

Gunked Valves!
Clogged intake ala EGR and copper injector seals and lack of oil changes
The clean head
Last edited by csale on Sun, 15 May 2016 8:12 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
csale

Postby LocalFart on Fri, 13 May 2016 12:36 +0000

Great 7 page read :)

you have some great areas to go off road over there.. I will be heading over at some point as my finance's family are from the Bahamas and St Lucia..

Good luck with the engine swap, I think a big problem may be the engine bays are opposite? like the air box should be on the other side? or is that from our right hand drive over here? Were you going to to the EGR blanking plate and catch can install?
LocalFart

Postby csale on Sun, 15 May 2016 8:10 +0000

Hi LocalFart (great name),
Yes the airbox is on the opposite side; however that is regardless of what side the steering wheel is on. Either way our locally sold vehicles are right had drive.

I'm set on fitting everything in the engine bay as it would be stock; and am fairly confident this won't be too much of an issue given that in Thailand the hilux tiger sold with the 2kd before 2005. Plus the gas model 'luxes have the air box on the same side as the intended 1KD.

I've ordered the EGR plan plate on ebay from a seller in the UK. However thanks to an exhaustive thread here on newhilux and posts by talktheroo I'm going to only do the provent catch can. Luckily I found a supplier in the us that sells the catch can and filter for less than US$150 (http://www.diesel-filters.com/393107055 ... f-highway/). So i'll be ordering that and have a friend carry it down for me.

Thanks for the well wishes and enjoy the trip! Bahamas is for boating, and St. Lucia has some beautiful terrain!
csale

Postby LocalFart on Mon, 16 May 2016 9:48 +0000

csale wrote:Hi LocalFart (great name),
Yes the airbox is on the opposite side; however that is regardless of what side the steering wheel is on. Either way our locally sold vehicles are right had drive.

I'm set on fitting everything in the engine bay as it would be stock; and am fairly confident this won't be too much of an issue given that in Thailand the hilux tiger sold with the 2kd before 2005. Plus the gas model 'luxes have the air box on the same side as the intended 1KD.

I've ordered the EGR plan plate on ebay from a seller in the UK. However thanks to an exhaustive thread here on newhilux and posts by talktheroo I'm going to only do the provent catch can. Luckily I found a supplier in the us that sells the catch can and filter for less than US$150 (http://www.diesel-filters.com/393107055 ... f-highway/). So i'll be ordering that and have a friend carry it down for me.

Thanks for the well wishes and enjoy the trip! Bahamas is for boating, and St. Lucia has some beautiful terrain!

Haha thanks,

Ahh true, I had a bit of a brainfart and forgot all the engines would be designed that way for a LH driving Country,

I'm going down the same path and just doing the catch can install... going to try a generic car one first and money is tight atm but hopefully they both work.

But yeah I cant wait to see that part of the world.
LocalFart

Postby csale on Sat, 04 Jun 2016 11:29 +0000

Engine is mostly rebuilt now! Injectors have been checked / serviced and look good, so I am very relieved there. I did have to replace the glow plugs, but found those for a deal: $100 for the set of 4 (genuine Toyota).

the only uncertainty I have at the moment is that of the new airbox. My main concern is to fit a proper airbox on the drivers side so that a safari snorkel can be installed (current snorkel is on the passengers side). The stock box from the 2006 is broken, and wouldn't fit. SO... I did some picture research and have ordered an airbox from a 2002 V6 Tacoma... Its a little bit of a gamble but hopefully it all works. If it doesn't fit it wont hinder the swap, just the snorkel.

Now to schedule the installation / swap in the next few weeks.

Picture update below:

csale

Postby kAm on Wed, 22 Jun 2016 4:48 +0000

very interested in how it all fits together later on
kAm

Postby ca.53.dm on Tue, 26 Jul 2016 9:56 +0000

csale, Hey mate, with the D4D intercooler onto the 1KZ, did you have to change the crack cover? Or did you install an oil catch can? Because the thread that you shared, that dude did.

Also, is it pretty straight forward in regards to taking a few pipes of and making some brackets to fit it all? I'm just trying to gauge how much time my truck will be off the road.

Thanks in advance, this is a great build thread and a great read!!
ca.53.dm

Postby kAm on Mon, 03 Oct 2016 7:33 +0000

csale wrote:The kit sprays based on my boost sensor reaching 14psi at the moment, so no flooding the intake is possible. I'm using the equivalent of the Devilsown kit, with the older model pump. Simple on off spray with a 5GPH nozzle. I'm using an Auber boost gauge which is a beautiful digital unit that has a relay built in; so with that i have precise control over when i actually start spraying. Also everything is hooked up to a master switch so its not always on.

soo.....I said I never trusted those meth injections kits. well I somehow ended up with one and geezzbus its good. are you still running yours? currently running a 175ml/min nozzle. not sure what that equates to for the gallon but its not bad!
kAm

Postby csale on Wed, 07 Dec 2016 8:48 +0000

Sorry for the late reply! its been a tedious few months for me here... I did install a catch can which made no sense since it was complete crap. I did recently obtain the provent can for a steal of a price in the US; and that will go on with the D4D i'm still trying to get the installtion finished for.

Yes all and all its straightforward. The only real trick was to get a flange made for the throttle body. Everything else was stock piping, custom aluminum strip made into supports for the IC, and off the shelf silicone turbo tubing (elbows and one aluminum connector).

Good luck!

ca.53.dm wrote:csale, Hey mate, with the D4D intercooler onto the 1KZ, did you have to change the crack cover? Or did you install an oil catch can? Because the thread that you shared, that dude did.

Also, is it pretty straight forward in regards to taking a few pipes of and making some brackets to fit it all? I'm just trying to gauge how much time my truck will be off the road.

Thanks in advance, this is a great build thread and a great read!!
csale

Postby csale on Wed, 07 Dec 2016 8:50 +0000

kAm wrote:
csale wrote:The kit sprays based on my boost sensor reaching 14psi at the moment, so no flooding the intake is possible. I'm using the equivalent of the Devilsown kit, with the older model pump. Simple on off spray with a 5GPH nozzle. I'm using an Auber boost gauge which is a beautiful digital unit that has a relay built in; so with that i have precise control over when i actually start spraying. Also everything is hooked up to a master switch so its not always on.

soo.....I said I never trusted those meth injections kits. well I somehow ended up with one and geezzbus its good. are you still running yours? currently running a 175ml/min nozzle. not sure what that equates to for the gallon but its not bad!

^^ I know, right! It's amazing the difference!... and if you have an EGT guage you can tune and get the best cooling from it as well.
csale

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups